Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all came down to a loss of oomph higher in the rpm range, so I decided to do the mod to the air box (Ganzflow stage 2 purchased at Menard's for around $25). I got a flexible rubber 3" 90 degree sleeve that fits perfectly over the Ganzflow and attaches to the box. The work doesn't look too professional, but the flow is so much better comparing the stock arm to the new 3" arm. I used 'J B Weld' as the adhesive. Awesome stuff that hardens in a few minutes. I also used the Dremel tool (35000 rpm) to free some air space in the airbox webbing. I'm sure that helped a bit.

The pull is strong as usual lower in the revs, but the top end is much better than I remember. I was WOT the whole way to my bro's place and I loved the feeling. It felt that I've gained 5-10 top end hp! I own a G-Tech so I'll be posting some numbers soon. Before, I got a 0-60 in 7.4 secs and 1/4 in 15.71... I'll have to find a spot to test it out without disturbing the peace. :) Vroom Vroooom VRooooaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Sounds like a good idea.

Pictures?
:D

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are the pictures. I think this helped more on the top end since it is 3" from the Ganzflow to the throttle body. That stock arm is puny and has the 4-5mm plastic from all around the lip restricting the constant current of airflow from the sides coming from the ganzflow. Sorry for I have no hard hp numbers, but butt dyno feels a bit stronger. FYI, the Ganzflow fitting perfectly inside the rubber arm = no air restriction.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's a closeup of my JB Weld and where I placed the 90 degree arm and the 3" plastic connector plate connecting the rubber arm to the box and my dremmeling with the 35000 rpm tool to take out the restrictive webbing inside and the foam caulk I put inside to allow the air coming in the box to kinda stay in the middle of the airbox. Whew!:)

Would I do the mod again? I'll just say I was gonna cry like a baby when I got the restrictive arm off. I didn't know if I had the skills to finish the project... I felt sooo relieved once I did. Whew!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allllllllllrighty-then... Pics, pics, pics. Two of 'em.

Ummm, about the koozie. Ummm, the store ran out of them. Ummm, yeah. That's right! The store ran out. Once they get more koozies, I'll finish up my full CAI and be :happynow:.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RageHardIntoTheBendies said:
Look svery similar to mine exept I used a solid Elbow

By the way I have changed my Hose clamps since this :D

This Mod really compliments the UD Pulley too.
How did you get the solid elbow to fit onto the airbox? I mean, the back of the box gets thinner and thinner and the solid 3" won't get any smaller. I pinched my pipe a little as to not allow a gap from being present around the area I cut, and then I JB Welded it into place. How long have you had it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I did is cut a 2-3" Long Piece of 3" ABS Tube and cut about a 1/4 of it away, if you piture it bonded to the elbow it would protrude 2" out of the end and the gap would be on the front portion of the elbow and box. I then carefully removed the "Thin" part at the back of the airbox until it mated nicely with the new pice of tube. Then I just sealed it all up with FG.

Ok Yea Doesent make much sense right ?
Look at the crude diagram below the red section would be the 3" tube piece and wraps around to flat part of the underside of the box.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did the 3" ABS (Home Depot) mod earlier this year and the custom fitment of the 3" pipe to the air box was the toughest part. This definatly made an improvement...I can keep up with the wife's 02 SRP WRX until she hits 80...then I start loosing ground.......

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used a piece of the 3" pipe (cut away the rest for support across the back side of the airbox and used ABS cement to bond it all together with left over scraps to fill in the wide spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do to a slight miss- calculation in the strength of the side wall on the air box and subsequent addition of a stiffening rib, I had to mod the air filter to fit around the rib.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used a 3" to 4" rubber addapter with the 4" skirt cut away to make a 'cone' for the CAI to rest in when installed in the fender well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts