Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy an Impreza 'L' 2.2L, and turbo charge it. This is my cheap insurance alternative to a 2.5RS. I hear the 2.2L is very suitable of handling boost, and entering my desired 200-220 whp range.

Questions:

Can some one clear up the changes made in the L models through out the years.

1. I am hearing talk about SOHC and DOHC. I thought these were all DOHC Boxer engines, amd I wrong?

2. Also, when did Subaru stop using the 1.8L and start the 2.2L?

3. I heard also, that the 2.2L was only offered in an Automatic for some years... that can't be right can it? I need 5sp.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i belive all the 2.2l were SOHC subaru's DOHC are not the best from what i hear and the stoped making them.

i would buy a '97 if you can i have that year and its the 2.2 and runs great

dont know about other years...

·
Registered
MY95 Impreza L Wagon
423 Posts
Answer

The 2.2L is and was only a SOHC engine. I think the 2.2T engine was DOHC but not quite sure. The 2.2L engine was available as of MY95 in Impreza LX but only in an automatic. As of MY96 they could be found as a five speed. I have an MY97 2.2L that I am turboing in the next couple weeks, clutch goes in today.
Joshua

·
Registered
2 95 Impreza L's
1,158 Posts
The 2.2L is and was only a SOHC engine. I think the 2.2T engine was DOHC but not quite sure. The 2.2L engine was available as of MY95 in Impreza LX but only in an automatic. As of MY96 they could be found as a five speed. I have an MY97 2.2L that I am turboing in the next couple weeks, clutch goes in today.
Joshua
are you talking sedan/coupe only? Cause my buddy has a 95L wagon 5 speed with 2.2l factory

·
Premium Member
99' rs black
36 Posts
The 22t is sohc. The only usdm dohc thats non turbo that i know of is the ej25d which was the early 2.5 liter. They switched to sohc ej25. All jdm engines and usdm wrx/sti I have seen are dohc except for this new body style i think they are sohc. Not sure in any of the year to year changes though.

·
Premium Member
1995 Impreza L
635 Posts
WOW xkoolaidx! Way to raise this thread from the grave!!! Search around and you will see the stock ej22 can take a decent amount of boost!
-andrew

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok I did a search and this is the closest thing I could find to what I have in mind for my car.

I was lookin for someone who has turbo-ed a NA with low boost (4-6psi). To find out if it can be done and be reliable. I found a few guys running the EJ25D motor with basic exhaust manifold, exhaust, intake mods, a stock ecu, stock injectors and a MBC. they all say up to around 6psi on a 10:1 NA will be reliable and I dont doubt them. I am just running into a couple snags here in my idea.

I have a EJ22e in my 98 impreza I want to turbo. I already have the full exhaust from a 02 turbo impreza taking up space in my shop. the first snag I think I will run into is the cross member needs to either be notched or replaced (can be done either way) the 2nd problem is my heads are single port and the exaust is dual port but I need to stay SOHC for my ECU.

I was wondering if I can run EJ25 SOHC heads and maybe a thicker gasket to lower compression, with the turbo exhaust and somthing like 5psi on my car without any other modification problems? if not what will I need to do or get to get it working. I know some people here have run some off the wall EJ Frankin builds but I hope someone here will understand what I am trying to do.

·
Registered
1998, Impreza L, Brilliant Red
429 Posts
Yes you can use the sohc 2.5 head to utilize the dual ports. But you will need to change the intake manifold to use those specific heads. If you are only going to run 4-5 psi you really don't have to lower your comp ratio. Just search the info is out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
does anyone know what year model subys came NA 2.2L with dual port heads I just need to know to price parts out, and what turbo X-members will fit in a gc impreza or does it matter.

·
Registered
2015 STI Crystal White Pearl
1,861 Posts
Pretty much phase II 2.2L motors came with single ports, from 97 or so and up. Older phase 1 motors had dual ports.

A JDM GC, older Legacy, USDM Legacy turbo crossmember will fit without modification. GD models and up needs shimming of control arm mounts since they're further apart compared to the older models.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks Guys it will help and thanks 2milehi for the link vary good write up on notcing the X-member.

and what exactly does phase II mean is it just a re-vamped version of the old 22 or is it actually stronger?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok fellas I got all the crap for the build and have already started. so far I have knotched the Xmember I have the heads and a after market header up-pipe in the car as of now.

but the problem I am having now is on the intake half of the system. I cant get the TMIC to fit between the firewall and the throttleBody. do I need a different intake mani, TB, or something else? I have a JDM intake Manifold and the TB looks to be a few inches shorter but the hookup for the cables are on the wrong side.

the other question I have is about the crank vent on the top of the block near the back by the up pipe (sticking out of the top of the block in the photo on the engine stand) what do most people do with this mass of rubber? I would like to move it so the turbo outlet to fit better.

so far the only thing I had problems with was the passenger side radiator mount needed to be bent to fit my header in there so heads up to anyone else doing the samething.
:bonk:

·
Premium Member
90 Legacy Wagon
672 Posts
What TMIC are you using? Im using a 06 wrx TMIC on my 2.2 Turbo. The 02-05 wrx TMIC is a tight fit but you can do it. You can trim the throttle body and/or the intercooler coupler to make it fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am using a 02-05 TMIC, and you are saying to trim off some of the Stock TB? I can give it a shot the TB isnt worth much to me now anyways.

·
Registered
2015 STI Crystal White Pearl
1,861 Posts
Its better to chop 1/4" off the TMIC. It can be done. You just need to play with it a little.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts