Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1997, Subaru, Impreza L, 2.2L,
2,363 Posts
No it is not required. I run 87 octane with my ProECM powerchip and still feel a power increase with the chip. Also i love how i don't have the speed limiter now.

·
Registered
04 Outback H6 aka old man car
335 Posts
Rabbit has an L (2.2L) which does have a speed limiter.

Just wondering though, I have a 99 L can I just swap in a 99 RS ECU? i.e. plug and play without any worries?

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
mr_subaru_rs said:
huh i never had a speed limiter, kinda wish it took off the rev limiter though
sounds like the worst idea ever.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
mr_subaru_rs said:
i have installed this in my 1999 impreza 2.5RS, and just curious if it is required to burn 91 octane, since gas prices are climing

thanks
Well you can run 87, but use 89 or 91 at the very least because using lower octane fuel basically completely nullifys the whole point of the ProECM chip.

The chip increases spark advance and tunes Air/Fuel Ratio so you will actually be able to take advantage of higher octane fuels giving better fuel efficiency and better under the curve power.

Take the time to actually calculate how much more it would be to get 91 over 89 or 89 or 87. It will come to only about $10-20 more per month to get higher octane. If you are too cheap to purchase the right octane, just sell the chip and give it to someone who will put out the little bit of extra cash.

This is not to mention the amount of extra gas mileage you get because of the chip. I'd get 390-450 miles/gas tank when I was N/A with Borla Header, High flow cat, CBE, LW Pulley & ProECM.

·
Registered
12WRX/97Brighton
300 Posts
Just did some reading about ProECM. They say you should see about 4hp from the chip. I was also reading about their pullies and they said you should expect an extra 2.7hp at the crank for every 1lb you reduce with the pullies. So reducing the weight of the 3 pullies by 4 1/4 lbs would yield 11.5hp. Would it be realistic to see 15.5hp from the chip and pullies?

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
well when I was n/a I had

Agency Power LW Pulley - 1.1 lbs
borla header, randomtech highflow cat, brullen catback
Injen intake
ProECM Powerchip.

Here's my dyno.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS2.5
155 Posts
where do you get this device? what does it cost? i found the website but, not much info, oyher than a brief description.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can usually find them used for less than $100. If you check on nasioc there's a big hooplah about what it does.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
I bought one on impulse... yea, probably not the best way to do it, but I've had it DIY installed for over 3 years now on a daily driver and no problems so far (that can be traced directly to the proecm anyway.) I've run it with the gamut of octane ranges too, from 87 all the way to 100 race gas, and with both copper and iridium plugs. The only thing I seem to notice is that with premium, the engine seems to rev and idle smoother and I get a little better mileage too. Placebo? Who knows.

It's all going byebye with the swap coming in a month anyway.

·
Registered
335 Posts
SilverSubie2.5 said:
So would it be better to go with this chip or something more tunable (PP6, Greddy Emanage)?
Personally I went with the PP6 over the ProECM. Emanage would do fine as well, but I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a ProECM new or used.

Does anyone know if after installing the ProECM if it passes emissions testing and OBDII readiness?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I had a ProECM in my car for a while, and pulled it in favor of a PP6, and the PP6 is vastly superior to the ProECM.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
Not entirely. Hondah8er is very fortunate in that he was able to have Rallitek sort his pp6 out. I wasn't and it didnt work out as well for me. For sub 100 I would give the proecm a shot. Dosn't it get learned around after a while? I thought I remember reading about that when bigshizzle bought one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts