Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a proECM chip in the near future. It's on order. I was considering installing it w/ a switch that I could flick to bypass it and go back to stock. The install for the chip involves putting it inline for 2 wires and tapping a power then hooking up a ground:

http://www.proecm.com/documents/pc2doc.pdf

Install there, my car is a MY 99 RS.

Any of you electrical wizards have advice on what kind of switch to get and how to wire it up? Or is this a bad idea, can I get good connections w/ a switch or am I looking for problems?

TIA

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally would not mess with anything that had to do with my ECU and involved switching things on and off.

But, that being said, it seems like it would work, but I would not switch it when power was applied to the ECU. So, is power applied when then key is off? Don't do it. No power with the key off? Go for it. :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
One thing I would worry about. I haven't had my hands on a proecm personally but I would check to make sure that if it is off but still wired in that the voltages before and after the unit are staying the same. If it has a chip in it more than likely they will, if it has any diodes, resisotors, etc etc in it it might still change the output voltage. If you have a multimeter I would check with out the proecm hooked up and record your voltages, then with the proecm, and then once again with the proecm hooked up but switched off.

Buster

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS-T RBP
52 Posts
It's not a good idea. The PROECM requires and ECU reset if it is disconnected. So you would have to reset the ECU each time you turned it back on. Oh, and why would you want to turn it off at all? It works great, no need to mess with it.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
I wouldn't think it was a good idea. I haven't seen how the circuit works but I'd assume that it isn't good to have full power applied to it via a switch.

Nick C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts