Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Impreza 2.5rs 4dr.

1) Should I wait till after I get the ecm update from the dealer before i install the Proecm unit?

2) With the dealers update to my Ecm will I still get advantages from the Proecm? How? Please give examples...

3) Would the Proecm be able to handle modified "single catalytic converter mods" or "Catalic illimination mods" and not throw a CEL light?

4) How much faster does the ProEcm learn new data, like a change in octain or intake?

5) Can it handel modified mods like new Cams?

Thanx

EL

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
EchoWRX, I'd wait until you get the ECU flash from the dealer. Also, the ProECM is not quite as advanced as you make it out to be. What it does (essentially) is modify the engine's coolant temerature sensor value to trick the factory ECU into running more timing advance and a more aggressive fuel trim. The only connections on the "chip" are: vehicle speed sensor, ECT sensor, power, gnd, and optional voltage clamp for 00-01 F/I cars. As for what it will and will not do: it will modify your fuel trim, it will add hp/torque (5-ish to the wheels on an essentially stock EJ25 but with other mods, it should make more). I have one and can say that I'm quite impressed with it, relatively simple install and I don't have to mess with the A/F ratio (ala S-AFC) or the timing settings (ala ITC). The car's own knock sensor seems to be the safeguard for the system (and why not?) but I can tell you that I haven't had a single problem since I installed it and can say that the plusses definately out weigh the minuses.

As for my mods, I have cams, intake, ud pulley, custom tri-y header (similar to MRT) with integral high flow cat (only running one), 2.25" cat back, ProECM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Boy Thanx

I got a direct anwser from Imprezars.com (this guy is cool!!!)

***MY Email with Anwsers***:

I own a 2000 Impreza 2.5rs 4dr.

1) Should I wait till after I get the ecm update from the dealer before i
install the Proecm unit?

>yes, only to avoid problem with the dealer complaining of the little box
wired in

2) With the dealers update to my Ecm will I still get advantages from the
Proecm? How? Please give examples...

>yes, the flash is only for emissions stuff

3) Would the Proecm be able to handle modified "single catalytic converter
mods" or "Catalic illimination mods" and not throw a CEL light?

> it has been known to help, sometimes you need to wrap your headers with
heat wrap if you add those too

4) How much faster does the ProEcm learn new data, like a change in octain or intake?

>after about 10 wide open throttle runs vs 200

5) Can it handel modified mods like new Cams?

>yes, but so can the stock ECU

Thanx

Imprezars.com

Getting mine ASAP!!!

P.S. "BOY", do you have any pics of the modded headers on your car? Your setup sounds sweet. How much was it?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The headers were $150 (I got a hook up) but the guy said he'd charge ~$200 if they drive to his shop in wichita falls, tx.

The part that is hanging WAY low on the drivers side was fixed the next week free of charge (we didn't notice it at the shop, go figure).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW... BAMB!!!

Nice shot BOY!, I was hopin U'd send a pic :biggest:, thanx for going thru the trouble.

Is that an equlizing pipe in the middle, like MRT's?

I gona head to my muffler guy soon!!! After the ECM dealer reset of course.

EL

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Yes it has an equalizing tube, why? thought I'd give it a shot. My reaction to the headers was amazement. The old setup I had was a customy-pipe with the high flow cat sitting right under the passenger side of the tranny x-member. The sound of the old system was rather lumpy, much like a turbo'ed Subaru. This new setup I was hoping to get an even better sound and up the performance. When we first fired it up for the first time I was like "holy crap!" it was actually quieter than before! At first I was disappointed but when I rolled it off the lift and pulled out into the street my jaw dropped! The power was instant and carried right through redline. My car is now very happy (except for my blown center diff). Let me know if I can provide any more info for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts