Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Found this thread:

Prodrive P1 Lowering Springs - Rare Purchase opportunity. - ScoobyNet

at Scoobynet, and for people looking to upgrade their springs, this seem like a good opportunity.

The gist is making P1 springs designed to work with currently available dampers, manufactured by Eibach.

The prototypes look good, and offers more options than the current generation lowering springs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would LOVE to get in on that! I wonder if he will post an option to register here on rs25?
I would probably register on Scoobynet and show your support. If there are enough of us here that want in, they may set up a separate registration on 2.5rs just for easier logistics.

As it is, if there is a fair amount of interest, it would be easier just to ship the springs to a person here, and then ship them out to the others.

After searching for various suspension options and what is currently available, this is a golden opportunity, especially given the options they are offering.

The Plan:
Version of WR Blue - for excel-g's/agx's/koni inserts/early Bilsteins - ROAD
Version of WR Grey - for agx's/koni inserts/late Bilsteins - ROAD/TRACK
Version of Gymkhana/Tarmac - for agx's/koni inserts/re-rated Bilsteins - TRACK/ROAD

All of the above to be lower than P1's - minus 10mm front/6mm rear

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
235 Posts
Hi
Just to update you.
There are to be 3 spring sets being made initially:

1 x road/track spring set for agx, koni and late Bilsteins - 12mm lower than front P1's and 6mm lower than rear P1's (which is the same rear height as the wr99 grey professional springs)
1 x original spring set for kyb inverted f194lb/in r157lb/in
1 x spring set for early Bilsteins, excel-g's, agx, koni and kyb inverted. This spring set sits 6mm lower at the front, than the P1.

I've put the track/road tarmac/gymkhana spring on the back-burner, as there's little interest here. But the design is being done - just in case. It would be suitable for agx's on the 4 front setting and koni's. It's P1 ride height at the front and 3/8" taller than P1 at the rear.

I'll have a chat to Eibach UK re: US delivery possibilities.

HTH

·
Registered
98 RBP RS
273 Posts
Awesome thank you!

I know for sure I would be interested in option 1 the road/track springs. If there is anything I need to do to get on a preorder list let me know.

Hopefully you hear good news from Eibach UK.

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
235 Posts
Awesome thank you!

I know for sure I would be interested in option 1 the road/track springs. If there is anything I need to do to get on a preorder list let me know.

Hopefully you hear good news from Eibach UK.
I'll let you know the outcome with Eibach UK.

The road/track spring should be 230/200

I've got 6 front and 3 rear bump stops, for twin-tube dampers, being measured at Eibach, against the original stops.

·
Registered
98 RBP RS
273 Posts
Excellent!

Question: Do you know what the specs on these springs are vs the eibach pro kit?

Curious what the spring rate and front/rear drop comparison is.

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
235 Posts
Excellent!

Question: Do you know what the specs on these springs are vs the eibach pro kit?

Curious what the spring rate and front/rear drop comparison is.
On a GC turbo - the r/t's would be: front 12mm lower/rear 10mm lower. They have to be used with agx's, koni's or late bilsteins.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant be the only person on these boards interested in these at this point can I?
I've noticed this happens a lot. People are renticent for something new, and then scramble to purchase at twice the price when the opportunity is closed. Have you seen what an original Gravel Sport goes for now?:wtf:

Anyway, they are taking roll call at Scoobynet for orders now. Best to make your desires known.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,204 Posts
Can somebody sort of make a tl;dr explaining the benefits of these P1 'replica's' in comparison to stock setups or aftermarket options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can somebody sort of make a tl;dr explaining the benefits of these P1 'replica's' in comparison to stock setups or aftermarket options.
The P1

Subaru Impreza P1

is regarded as perhaps the best version of the GC8 for actual road use. Comfortable and still track worthy.

Unfortunately, the springs are copyrighted (no joke) and have been unavailable for years.

And the struts designed to work with them are also pretty rare, and cost a pretty penny (saw a guy at Scoobynet had his Bilsteins rebuilt for $800).

This is essentially an oportunity to get a new set of springs made that will work with a multitude of dampers, including the original P1 dampers if you have them, KYB AGX, etc. See the thread at Scoobynet for details.

The majority of aftermarket spring options short of OEM don't play well with currently available dampers (they lower the car too much for their spring rate), and aren't designed specifically for the GC8. The replicas will be.

tl;dr

A cheap set of coilovers will run about $1000 and will be less usable, and less durable.

For about the same price you can get a spring and strut setup that will be loads better, and you won't be replacing blown dampers all the time.

·
Registered
98 RBP RS
273 Posts
That's a great summary. I sure didn't want an entry level coil over setup and the lifetime warranty that comes with the AGX made jumping on this a no brainer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update from Scoobynet explain the various types of springs:

The WR15 R/T would be the best option for the AGX and occasional Track use.
During this process I have lost count of the spring swaps performed on my car. But by far the best spring for cornering/positive turn in were the STi Lowered Pinks when combined with the late WR Bilstein (these would perform similar to the AGX due to the AGX flexibility of hard or soft setting options).

I did have AGX for a short time and they felt a little harder then the Bilstein WR, when running the same springs (these were Eibach's at the time).

The WR15 R/T is aimed at providing the same positive turn-in as the STi lowered Pink.
When the STi Lowered Pinks were measured/rated and we later obtained information regarding the original rating of the WR Spring, it was found that these were a good match to the WR Blistein, front damper.
The new WR15 R/T will allow just a few more mm of clearance when compared to the STi Lowered Pink.

I do mainly spirited road work in what is now a weekend car, and probably go on track about 4 or 5 time per year. Anywhere from Goodwood to Nurburgring.

I have run all of the following on road and track conditions (I have run alot more variants on road) :

Eibach, Tein S-Tech, P1 and STi Lowered Pink, all on the late WR Bilstein dampers.
I would rate them in the following order :

1. STi Lowered Pink
2. P1 Red
3. Eibach
4. Tein S-Tech

If running on the road with more then 2 people in the car (or a full tank of fuel), the P1 gives a better 'spirited' ride then the STi Pink, but the downside is you loose the fantastic 'turn-in' of the STi lowered Pink.

The rear STi Pink was also pretty good, if a little under-rated for the late WR Bilsteins. These would probably be a better match for the earlier Bilsteins or P1 Dampers, as they were originally designed for the STi range.

Therefore the rear WR15 R/T is rated higher and to a similar rate to that originally intended for the late WR Bilstein.

My overall summary for my circumstance is :

The STi Lowered Pink (not to be confused with the regular STi Pink available) works well and provide a dramatic change to the stance and turn-in. The compromise is they sit just a touch too low, when running 18's and an ET51 (or less) offset. They may be fine on 17's and ET53, but I would still doubt the rear, as it is a touch soft.

The WR15 R/T aim to remove that compromise. The higher rating rear is aimed at providing a better front to rear match and allow you more confidence that your not going to bottom out on your favourite A/B road, when running more then 2-up or with a full tank.

The P1 Spring I found a little bouncy on the rear and it only lowered the rear by about 5mm IIRC, when compared to my previous Eibach.
A lot of people complain when fitting Eibach, that they didn't lower as much as they thought.
The P1 spring would also fall into this category.

Therefore for those that want a lower stance then the Eibach, I would not recommend the P11 (that is now available), but go for the P11-6 or WR15 R/T

1 - 20 of 109 Posts