Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 GC8 and am considering these two setups. I was wondering if anyone has some input on either or is running one of the setups and could give me some feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
well.. the WR set up is bilstein/eibach...
and the P1 is basically the STi/KYB/SPT set up

both are very good street suspsensions.
you cannot go wrong either way...

tick stiffer, but dont slam the car...

i'd recommend em both :)
Jamie - www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
hey jamie,
what's your opinion on prodrive springs with the following struts:
a) stock struts
b) kyb /agx
c) ver 5/6 struts

lastly, is sti tophats (hardened) a must with aftermarket springs.

thanks !!

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I've driven on both. I've found the WR feels like a stock suspension while driving around town. Pretty nice on the bumps not bone jarring. But when the road gets twisty they feel like the P1 setup. The WR seems to tighten right up. The P1 is very nice but on the stiff side. Both are inverted style struts but I believe the WR setup has a more sophisticated valving system. I haven't priced the two lately but the WR's were considerably more money when I got my P1 setup around 3 years ago. I actually had a set WR's on order but it was taking so long to get them and the P1's became available so I got those (from Mike Shields)

As Jamie says both are good, I'm very happy with the P1's

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Hey Peat. :)

The P1 struts are identical to the STi Ver.5 ones though, yes?
The only difference being the springs?

So, what, the WR struts have the same-looking strut but with updated valving is what you're saying?

-Chris

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
The struts look similar and the springs are all different yes. But the P1/STi (red) are KYB and the WR's are Bilstein (Silver). They look similar meaning they both are inverted and have thick shafts (shafts being the strut rather than a rod)

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Oh okay, yeah I've seen pics of the silver set. I remember them, now.

So, the characteristics of the Bilstein vs. KYB units must be quite different, eh? So you'd say that the WR set is much more capable?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I've lived w/ the P1 setup for a long time and find it very capable. I've only taken a test drive w/ the WR's but got the feeling the WR's are more versatile. If that makes any sense. Price independent I'd go for the WR sports if I had to do it over again. The P1's do well on the track but I don't spend at much time on the track as I do going back and forth to work. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Oh I agree. I don't spend much track time on a yearly basis; didn't do ANY last year. Might do some ice racing tomorrow morning with the NESIC guys at a BMWCCA event in NH, but hey, that's ice.... I'd slide no matter what suspension I had. (Translation: I'd do terribly no matter what. :D )

The Ver.5 setup is great for me, but I got the struts before the big price increase, so the whole thing cost me like $450, not including the STi strut tops, which I haven't done yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts