Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all. Any suggestions on how to remove carbon Prodrive center caps off of Prodrive GC-010G wheels? I've tried gently prying at what appears to be the base of the center cap on the outside of the wheel and gently tapped on the inside of the wheel. No compression tabs are visible to squeeze. The back side of the wheel has what appears to be an aluminum cylinder on the back side of the center of the cap. The wheels are supposed to got to powder coating tomorrow and I have no idea how to get these out without damaging them.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Take the back side of a screw drive and give the inside of it a couple swift hits. if not that, they might be threaded and you just need to unscrew them

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried rotating them counterclockwise but haven't been able to move them at all. I also gave a few hits on a very large diameter socket with a mallet, to no avail. Wasn't sure if I missed something or not. Ill try again tomorrow

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
I tried google searching and the first result was your post on nasioc asking the same question. They HAVE to come out, makes it real difficult to balance if they don't.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got em out. Ended up putting each wheel face down on a tire, placing a circular cut section of a dowel, placing a section of replacement exhaust pipe against it, and hitting with a rubber mallet. Still had to hit each one several times with a good amount of force. Each center cap had double o-rings around the 1/4" deep cylinder on the back if the center cap...never saw a venter cap with that much sealing before. Off to powder coating! Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hyperblack. I'll post some before and after pics soon. I'll just throw them up in this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts