Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does this look good? I’ve never done this before and just want someone that’s good to check it before I start putting it back together. If it’s off by a hair is that okay or does it have to be exact?

Attachments

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
Off by less than a tooth is ok. Every time the heads get resurfaced, it causes the timing marks to be slightly more off.

The driver's side head, it looks like it timing mark is covered in blue paint. Can you double check that? I see you aligned it to the white colored paint

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
Yeah any time you start a used engine that hasn't run in a while, it smokes and burns off oil and grease. If it's looking like it wants to become a fire, obviously that's too much. But minor smoke is normal.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
Unless the engine seals are actively leaking onto the exhaust, it should pass.

So does that mean the engine runs?

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I’m having some problems with it starting at first I didn’t have a problem but after my first short drive I had a problem with it starting for a minute then it started. Now I took a 45 minute drive and now it won’t start it’s not. It’s like the starter doesn’t want to go on. What could cause this if it’s not the starter?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
It sounds like either your battery isn't strong enough or the grounds aren't securely connected.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts