Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed an engine in my 01 Impreza. It’s turning over but it doesn’t run. I can find the ending of 2 hoses(not sure what to call them) would these stop it from running? Also the engine and transmission I got each have a sensor that my old engine and transmission don’t have would this cause it to not start as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
Wrapped 2000 RS Sedan
22 Posts
I am absolutely no expert, but those lines look to be vacuum lines that attach to nipples on the airbox of the intake, though I don't think those would keep the car from running.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts
Did you swap intake manifold, all sensors and the driver side cam gear and crank sprocket? Is there enough gas in the tank? Battery has over 12v and has enough cranking amps? Reversed the fuel lines? Timing is spot on? Cam and crank sensors plugged in?

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
164 Posts
I can find the ending of 2 hoses(not sure what to call them)
I think I can see the right hose going to the intake (unless it's behind it), which would lead me to believe that what slow_rs said is right, and they're probably vacuum lines.

Also the engine and transmission I got each have a sensor that my old engine and transmission don’t have
Having extra sensors is not a bad thing. Your ecu isn't looking for input from them, because they're not plugged in, and they're not supposed to be there in the first place; so no harm, no foul.

Mike points out a lot of good things to check. We're not there, so we can't see what you have going on. The more information you give us, the better we can help troubleshoot. As Mike asked, did you swap your factory intake onto the engine being put back in?

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I had to change the intake manifold back to the original one(old engine) cause the engine I got had different connections(think it was because it’s a Japanese motor unsure tho). I’m a little low on gas but should be enough. I took a pick of the fuel lines before I took it off so it’s in the right configuration. I donno if the timing is good cause I’ve never done anything with that before.

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
381 Posts
The hose that stats on the driver side and touch’s your thumb in the photo routes to a sensor underneath the passenger side of the intake manifold. There are a couple other hoses in that area. The sensor that it connects to should have two nipples for two hoses. (At least my 99 OBS does). Not sure about the second hose. Need to see where it starts.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts
If you haven't swapped out the crank sprocket and driver side cam pulley, you might have the wrong timing marks. Your car won't start in a million years if that's the case.

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hose that stats on the driver side and touch’s your thumb in the photo routes to a sensor underneath the passenger side of the intake manifold. There are a couple other hoses in that area. The sensor that it connects to should have two nipples for two hoses. (At least my 99 OBS does). Not sure about the second hose. Need to see where it starts.
This is where the second hose starts

Attachments

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you haven't swapped out the crank sprocket and driver side cam pulley, you might have the wrong timing marks. Your car won't start in a million years if that's the case.
Just to make sure which ones are those? The crank sprocket and cam pulley.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts

This is the crank sprocket, it is behind the crank pulley (another name for the crank pulley is the harmonic balancer).

These are the cam pulleys. You only need to swap the driver side pulley.

·
Registered
02 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can’t seem to get the harmonic balancer pulley off I’m using the 2 socket extension with a pry bar wedged between them Nd under the frame but it’s not working it’s on there too tight is there another way?

nvm I got it with the belt trick

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts
I use a breaker bar to rotate it to the correct spot. A ratchet will allow the cam to slip. A second set of hands can help.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,584 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I think there is a black plastic piece that is absent in your photo that the timing mark is supposed to line up with.

Here's a pic I found on the web (also minus the plastic cover, maybe that was an older engine thing?)

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
381 Posts
That second hose should just run to your cruise control. Mike Tracy is right about needing the correct cams and cranks so the sensors read the right things. Far more important than these two vacuum lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts