Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started a week ago, about a week and half after purchasing my 2.5rs with 35k miles i noticed one day the heat stopped working in the car while i was driving, i assumed that this was because i parked outside and my car did not warm up quickly. After we warmed the car up for a very long time there still was no heat, yet after a short drive the engine temp gauge was well above the normal range and resting right on the H. By now i was thinkin that there was a problem with my new used car. A few days later i was at a light and my car started to smell really funny then smoke started comin out of my hood so i went straight home and called the dealer i bought the car from that night. We determined that it was a radiator problem due to a few things especially the lack of heat. I thought the radiator was leaking but the service tech wasnt totaly sure. The next morning I brought the car in and left it there and they could not find a problem with the car while it was idling. Later they did a longer drive and still could not find a problem. Then they checked out the engine a bit and they found that the head gasket(gasket head, one of the two:cool: ) was blown and they ordered a new one for my car.(which was luckily still under warranty) When they placed the order to subaru, subaru notified the deal that this was not the first time that this car has recieve a new head gasket and that basicly brings it too now...

I am unsure of what is now going to be done to my car but Im sure that I am getting the best service possible because we are friends with the head of sales at the dealership. I hope my car gets fixed well, but having problems sucks, it sucks to not have my car but to know that my car is broken is not very nice.

Any one have suggestions on what i should do right now? If u have had problems like this with ur car please share what the results were...

:(

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Is your car a 99 w/ DOHC? I understand the DOHC engines have problems with head gaskets, and judegin by the milage on yur car, it could be a 99, although my 00 is not too far behind you in milage. Maybe you should look into getting a a better gasket, maybe a metal one? Could also get the head and block o-ringed, that should take car of any future problems.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Be sure they resurface the heads. Heat warps heads, and if they are not milled flat then you will have a poorly fitting seal, leading to further problems.

And, a few tips:

1. Anytime your heater stops working you are seriously low on coolant, which usually signifies a leak in the coolant system.

2. Any time smoke comes out from under the hood, do NOT drive your vehicle. Stop immediately and park the car. Driving an overheated car will cause more damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
blown head gasket

My 99 RS (SOHC) just blew one also. It was the drivers side head. Fluid was leaking out of the side of the head and out of the bottom and it caused the heater to function poorly. It sometimes would take forever to blow out hot air. And its damn winter out too. But I have like 75k miles and have driven the car fairly hard. I wonder why yours blew at about 35k miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i had bad problems with the heat too, it really sucked in the chicago winter weather, plus i have to park outside too... lol i was freezing in the morning goin to school

im goin to find out monday what is going to happen to my car... hopefully it will work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts