Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
if I remember correctly from what I’ve read previously, it should be a direct swap as far as the tank itself goes.

Can you clarify and elaborate on the problem you are facing? Your picture and description are very vague and doesn’t allow for anyone to give you any good feedback to what the issue might be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if I remember correctly from what I’ve read previously, it should be a direct swap as far as the tank itself goes.

Can you clarify and elaborate on the problem you are facing? Your picture and description are very vague and doesn’t allow for anyone to give you any good feedback to what the issue might be.
. My tank wont seat properly/ the straps arent close enough to bolt up

·
Registered
2000 RSTi - Sedona Red Pearl
798 Posts
The swap is a direct swap, I don't recall every having that rollover valve on my 00 when I did my STi swap nor on my 00 L when I redid the STi swap. I have used both STi and RS/ L straps and they all work.

All my cars have only had three hardlines for the tank;
1) Fuel sending line (to engine)
2) Fuel return line (from engine to tank)
3) EVAP Hardline (I deleted this along with my EVAP system)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The swap is a direct swap, I don't recall every having that rollover valve on my 00 when I did my STi swap nor on my 00 L when I redid the STi swap. I have used both STi and RS/ L straps and they all work.

All my cars have only had three hardlines for the tank;
1) Fuel sending line (to engine)
2) Fuel return line (from engine to tank)
3) EVAP Hardline (I deleted this along with my EVAP system)
Thats the drivers rear side, the lines i am talking about are passenger rearish sorta near the end of the rocker panels

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
148 Posts
The rollover valve should not affect installation. I personally have installed a 2005 STI tank in my car and it bolted up no issue.
Use the sti straps
I used RS tank straps, however the tank straps are the same anyway. The only difference is the additional studs for the larger heatshield/rock guard mounted under the STI tank. The straps are marked LH and RH so make sure you are using the correct one on each side.

Start with the two front bolts on the tank straps and then use the longer rear bolts to draw it up into position. It is a tight fit, and the tank is meant to touch the unibody during install, and as such needs to be drawed into position mechanically.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car

Keep the emissions equipment for the year of vehicle (e.g. 2001 RS evap equipment swapped over to STI tank). It makes things much simplier and does not have negative performance impacts. The internals of the STI tank will not matter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rollover valve should not affect installation. I personally have installed a 2005 STI tank in my car and it bolted up no issue.

I used RS tank straps, however the tank straps are the same anyway. The only difference is the additional studs for the larger heatshield/rock guard mounted under the STI tank. The straps are marked LH and RH so make sure you are using the correct one on each side.

Start with the two front bolts on the tank straps and then use the longer rear bolts to draw it up into position. It is a tight fit, and the tank is meant to touch the unibody during install, and as such needs to be drawed into position mechanically.
View attachment 90713

Keep the emissions equipment for the year of vehicle (e.g. 2001 RS evap equipment swapped over to STI tank). It makes things much simplier and does not have negative performance impacts. The internals of the STI tank will not matter.
I see, i wasnt checking the straps. Didnt cross my mind that they would be directional. I did swap the sti evap in already. I took out the old roll over.

·
Registered
98 Subaru Impreza RS coupe RBP
348 Posts

View attachment 90713

your underbody looks very clean lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rollover valve should not affect installation. I personally have installed a 2005 STI tank in my car and it bolted up no issue. I used RS tank straps, however the tank straps are the same anyway. The only difference is the additional studs for the larger heatshield/rock guard mounted under the STI tank. The straps are marked LH and RH so make sure you are using the correct one on each side. Start with the two front bolts on the tank straps and then use the longer rear bolts to draw it up into position. It is a tight fit, and the tank is meant to touch the unibody during install, and as such needs to be drawed into position mechanically. View attachment 90713 Keep the emissions equipment for the year of vehicle (e.g. 2001 RS evap equipment swapped over to STI tank). It makes things much simplier and does not have negative performance impacts. The internals of the STI tank will not matter.
I found out my problem, the straps are directional. Would you happen to have the evap and fuel diagram?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts