Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99, 2.5RS , Alpine White
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but i'm new to these vehicles and still figuring out ther interchangability.

Here's the issue, looks like my 99 RS (phaseII sohc) is having severe issues with oil consumption and it's leading me towards thinkin it needs a set of rings (bit of Spy Hunter smokescreen action at high rpm, compression test will give me an idea later on this week) I was wondering if later model 02+ sohc motors would be compatible (preferable because I still need to inspect my heads), and possibly earlier phase I (dohc) motors would be good enough for a long block. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99, 2.5RS , Alpine White
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone, I'm just trying to find out if I can just swap over an 02+ 2.5L motor and swap over the '99 intake manifold etc to make it work.

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
I would reccomend staying away from the DOHC motors, since they had a huge problem with the headgasket that year. To the best of my knowledge, you can swap the motor over, but I can't say whether the MAF / MAP sensors can just be switched.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
Your car is MAF, if you want a motor that will just bolt right in no mods you will have to go with a MAF based motor I believe unless there is some fancy trick to making it run a MAP based setup. I know 00-01 RS was MAP and 98-99 was MAF, don't know the other years.

·
Registered
99, 2.5RS , Alpine White
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Signatus said:
I would reccomend staying away from the DOHC motors, since they had a huge problem with the headgasket that year. To the best of my knowledge, you can swap the motor over, but I can't say whether the MAF / MAP sensors can just be switched.
Of course....i'm just having trouble finding out if I could say use an 02+ EJ25 longblock...and switch over the '99 intake manifold,etc to the newer longblock. There doesn't seem to be many '99 SOHC motors. And I would *preferably* like one that's actually been compression or leakdown tested, and I seem to be having better luck with finding the map-based cars.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
^^^That trick would be to not plug the MAP sensor in. The MAF will stay with the intake tubing anyway.

The 02 motor should work fine. Keep your engine harness and put it on the new motor, plugging in the appropriate sensors.

·
Registered
99, 2.5RS , Alpine White
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Storm said:
^^^That trick would be to not plug the MAP sensor in. The MAF will stay with the intake tubing anyway.

The 02 motor should work fine. Keep your engine harness and put it on the new motor, plugging in the appropriate sensors.
Thank you! Answer i'm looking for. Back to searching for a low mileage later model EJ25 :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts