Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted on the "other club" about the chip, but I haven't been here in a while so here goes. I have a 2000 2.5 RS with Cobb CAI, Cobb shifter, V5 suspension, 20mm rear swaybar, Kumho 712's:stupid: , and Stromung SS cat- back.(other insignificant stuff too)

I installed the chip in about an hour... super easy. First impressions are smoother power, a lot smoother. There is a lot more midrange power and tourque now. No more flat spot in the power band. It feels like when the air temp is perfect and your car is running perfect right after an ECU reset. It feels wonderful:D

I reccomend this chip to anyone! Got it from www.imprezars.com thanks Larry.

Any Questions?
Dolphin Overton

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Howdy Dolphin! :D Good to see ya over here too...;)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
What did it take you to install the chip? Any soldering? Any help from another person? Crawling under the car? Any modifying? Anything? :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
Well if you aren't lazy, like me, you could have followed the link, and followed another link, and read the install instructions, like I did. :)

It requires pulling up the carpet on the passengers side footwell, then removing the cover plate, then cutting 2 wires unless it's a MAP based Turbo, then you cut three. So at most you'll have a total of 6 connections to make. Use crimp connectors or soldier, it's your choice. Then ground it to the nut, and put everything back together.

:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would be all over that chip if it was a "Plug and Play". I'm sure cutting wires will set off the dealership's NULL and VOID Warranty Alarms! It took the better part of a morning arguing whether or not a GanzFlo CAI voided it.

H

·
0 Posts
The dealership can't void anything. Tell them to shove it up their azz.

They can, however, call a SOA rep to come down and deny warranty coverage on your problem, if they prove the mod caused the problem.

For example, if you got a CEL, and had them diagnose it, and it came up as "funky intake problem", they'd charge you for the visit.

Go fool around on www.sema.org and then talk to your dealer again. Put him/her in their place.

So if you add the chip, and your rear axle seals blow out, they'd have a pretty hard time proving that it was because of the chip.

I can't think of any time they'd even know the chip was on there unless you were having an ECU problem.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do you think that this chip would make the same increases in torque and horsepower on a turbo car that it would on an N/A car?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Graham

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I'm intrigued. Which wires (color) are the ones to be cut? So I guess that means it was well worth the $250?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You can't judge on what wire colors you have to cut. Subaru doesn't always use the same color wires. That's why the instructions have the diagram showing where the wires are. That little blue connector thing for the power wire is really cool!

Zooooooooom

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Install way easy, took about an hour. I wouldn't expect great gains instantly. Some people say it's amazing from the get go. I felt a tad bit of difference, but nothing you don't feel after resetting the ECU. Plus the weather was colder than usual, and has been the last few days. After 2 days it seems stronger, especially in the mid range. Coming out of turns it screams! :D

One tip about the install:

The power wire hooks up different than the rest. It uses the blue thingy. Just fold it in half over the correct wire in the ecu. Use pliers to snap it shut. Then slide the pink connecter on the end. That is probably the kewlest connector ever!

Good luck and have fun!

H

·
0 Posts
Vampire taps are nice, aren't they. :)

Only problem is that it can slice the wire in 2 and disconnect the two halves. It would be a bummer to lose power to the ECU in my opinion.

Which is why I'd cut it and use a butt connector.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have mine mounted where it is easy to see if I it is on or not.

How should you wire it with a but connector? 2 in one side? Need info just in case what you said should ever happen...;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny I asked for questions and then left for a week:D The install is so easy a 5 year old could do it.

BTW, My car is still getting faster!!! The chip is wonderful, and so is this 85 octane for the winter!!! My car tears ass with 85 in this cold weather!!!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
About the size of a credit card, but 3/4" thick. I have it mounted up under the dash. When you have a passenger they get a red foot from the power light! :lol:

·
Audi Fondler
2000 Silverish 2.5rs Sedan
3,251 Posts
I sooooo want one of these... gonna be my next mod :) Gonna get a new spoiler and struts as soon as I get my refund :) Just curious as I've never done it... how do you reset the ecu?

·
Registered
300 Posts
DragonRM said:
I sooooo want one of these... gonna be my next mod :) Gonna get a new spoiler and struts as soon as I get my refund :) Just curious as I've never done it... how do you reset the ecu?
To reset your ECU you have to disconnect the neg. wire from you battery. Let it sit for 15 min of so. Reconnect it and start your car, Do Not touch the gas peddel. Let the car idel for 15 to 20 min. Then go and drive it. Run your car in different ways. ie... Hard, soft, aggressive. And i think thats pretty much it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts