Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help setting up my suspension so it is good for autox and track events. I guess that I can change a couple things like camper and dampening for street driving, but the car is going to be tracked and autox'd as much as possible. Even then, the town i live in is full of mountain roads, and i drive one every day just to get home, so even a more aggressive street setup would be great.

First off, i bought myself a set of JIC coilovers for a killer price. I know they are stiff, but they make the car so much better imo. They have something like 15 adjustments but I am not really sure where to set everything. I know how to set the height on the coilovers and adjust the dampening, and set the camber, but i dont know where i should set it. What is a good setup for camber, spring compression, and dampening?

Also, i have a cusco rear adjustable sway bar with 3 different settings, which of the holes should I have the bar mounted to?

And lastly, wheels and tires. I have a partial set (3/4) of a british company OZ knockoffs that are 17x7.5 (came with the wrecked wrx). I am probably going to be using those as my summer/track/autox wheels because i already have a good set of all-season on my rs 16's. My question is this, are 17's good for autox and track? i've read that it is ideal to use smaller wheels for motorsports, but use as wide of tires as possible on the rim of your choice. However, i have wrx 4 pots, so i would need something that could clear that, and as far as i know, most 16's (besides stock 16x7's) don't do the job. will these work pretty well? I'd like to run at least 235's but i dont know if 17's are a good choice for that

thanks in advance yo

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,278 Posts
Alright, I've started to answer your post about 3 different times now, but due to the sheer number of questions, and the text required to properly explain each one, how they are related, etc... is just too much for any kind of post.

A lot of it is just too dependent on all of the parts together as a whole, and specific answers cannot be explained until you actually drive a few events on the setup, configured a specific way, and then return with specific questions/problems.

I will say this though.
JICs are not stiff. They are practically immovable, and will liquify your internal organs on bumpy roads.

Camber, for street/autox, on street tires, you'll wanna be between -2 to -3 degrees of front camber and anywhere form -1.5 to -2 in the rear. Get as much caster as you can, flip your camber plates from left to right sides of the car if you have to.

Any wheel size will work for motor sports, just stay away from tires that are significantly wider than the wheels they are mounted on. Look up the tire's specs and see what size rim is recommended for it. You probably shouldn't put anything wider than 235 on 7.5in wide wheels if you can avoid it.

Most JDM coilover adjustments don't do much for the first 50% of the clicks.
IE: my Apex'is are 32 click. Clicks 1-25 really don't do much, while clicks 26-32 are all significantly different. I'd either find a plot from a shock dyno and see how yours are valved, or physically compress them with the springs off and just make some visual observations to see where the changes in damping seem to happen.

Oh, yes it's "damping" not "dampening" ...we're not making things wet here...

Other info that is needed:
What are your spring rates?
What do you mean by "spring compression?"
What size is the rear swaybar?
Have you upgraded your front swaybar yet?

Thanks,

-- Dave

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for responding and sorry for the confusion, i'm still trying understand what everything means/is on my coilovers

i think when i said spring compression i meant spring rates sorry about that. Honestly, i don't really know what the spring rates are or how to check that

the rear sway bar is a cusco sway bar with three adjustments, i believe 20-22-24.

i had a matching non adjustable cusco fsb, but since i did the swap, i bought an 07 sti fsb

thanks a lot so far, this is very helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts