Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1999 2.5RS Silver
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through about 20 posts and didn't see anyone else talk about this, but my guess is someone else has the same experience with their car.

When I shift in high RPMS 4-5.5K the clutch engagement is extremely sudden, and I hear a "bang" sound. I can slip the clutch to keep this from happening but obviously that's not desirable.

Car is a 99 RS 5 speed. Come to think of it, our 00 Leggy Outback somewhat does this too.

Normal or not?

Thanks

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
4,588 Posts
Where is the sound coming from? It could be the rear differential banging around.

You need to be nice to the transmission. It is possible to shift quite quickly, but you need to do it properly and let the transmission do a bit of synchronizing.

· Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
3,696 Posts
like auslander said, worn out tranny and/or diff mounts could be what you're hearing... or you're just not letting the rpms drop enough before letting the clutch out.

· Registered
1999 2.5RS Silver
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This does occur when I shift quickly, not when I let the rpms drop. I guess I was under the impression you didn't have to wait...When racing is it common to shift "slowly"?

Makes me reconsider getting a short throw shifter if my shifting is already too quick...
Sounds like an easy fix though!

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
4,588 Posts
In racing, when you down shift you rev match; racers use lightweight pulley and flywheel systems that carry almost no momentum, so the RPMs drop so quickly they can fly from one gear to the next higher one.

· Premium Member
2001 Impreza OBS
2,263 Posts
what causes the noise is the rear subframe bushings, they are also called outrigger bushings. Whiteline sells a kit to fix that problem for $35 bucks. It takes around 10 minutes to install. Makes a world of difference. I would also recommend changing your engine/tranny mounts. The stiffer you can make them the better. You dont want the engine and tranny moving around.

-Thomas

· Registered
1999 2.5RS Silver
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is pretty common if you shift like a honda owner.
-Steve
Yeah yeah, very funny :) Don't we all consider ourselves Honda owners in that our cars own theirs? :)

When I downshift, I revmatch, but I'm talking about upshifting. Thanks for the suggestions, it makes sense that because the R's are still too high I'm getting this sound. I'll have to look at possibly getting those parts too.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.