Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im pretty sure its common on subaru with speedo wire that on your mph gauge when the grease goes out it makes noise? correct? idk mines been doing that awhole lot, got tired of it and took it out. and somehow, i couldnt go past 4.5k on my rpm. and its because of the speedo wire that needs to be connected. So i was like, "hmmmm, launch control eyy...?" AWWW YEAAH!

How can i grease the speedo again???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe someone could make an interrupter switch that automatically closes after you take off. The same thing happens if you unplug the MAF.
Probably, not sure. but i for sure know that i needa connect that speed wire back on, cause every morning when i start the car in the cold, it goes below 1k and that has not happen to me before, its usually goes 1.5k so..

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
:facepalm:

Its not launch control when it wont rev any higher once you take off

Sounds like your speedo cable is broke. Mine broke once and also caused the car to not rev any higher. I doubt greasing it will do anything.

When you go to find one make sure to tell them you have a speedo CABLE not a WIRE / sensor. 98 and up had an electric sensor. For some reason I had a hard time getting that accross to the local parts department who thought my 97 needed a new speed sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:facepalm:

Its not launch control when it wont rev any higher once you take off

Sounds like your speedo cable is broke. Mine broke once and also caused the car to not rev any higher. I doubt greasing it will do anything.

When you go to find one make sure to tell them you have a speedo CABLE not a WIRE / sensor. 98 and up had an electric sensor. For some reason I had a hard time getting that accross to the local parts department who thought my 97 needed a new speed sensor.
Not sure if the wire thats broken or the Gauge itself is broken, but when i took it out, grease was all over dripping from the MPH gauge, so im guessing it has to be the gauge and not the wire, and for sure after the next gauge and it does the same, its now the Wire thats screwed.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
151 Posts
you have to disconnect the cable where it goes into the transmission, (very easy) then pull the cable out of its housing, you can just use axle grease or a thick grease, just wipe the old grease off the cable with a rag and smear the new grease on the cable, then reinsert into housing and install cable again.
not being able to rev past 4500 rps is subarus limp mode. the car goes into it when it has no speed input. you should have a cel to accompany it. as soon as you put the cable back in, the rev limiter will be gone, but you will still have to delete the code.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.