Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard that their is a differnce betwen pre 96 imprezas and 96-01 i am lookin to get a car of this body style for my first car but was wordering what is the difference and is it worth the extra money to get a newer one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im farly new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question. but what dose that mean exactly. like do they have different motors or somthing like that.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Basically, the pre 96 cars have a much simplified computer, and are usually exempt from most emissions testing. If your state has emissions testing you'll probably want a pre-96 to avoid all of that. Also, due to the lesser wiring, the pre-96'ers are easier to swap.

As far as the actual body of the car, the metal and mechanicals of it, I dont know of any differences. They added a bolt-in bar under the rear seat (though I dont know why), they changed the bracket for the tire jack, and i dont know of any other differences.

BTW, interesting username, you from northern michigan?

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
the older style has 93-96 has the obd1 ( on board diagnostics 1) and obd 2 was for later years. in terms of chasis they are identical minus a few bolt ons mentioned above. also the older years didnt have a rear sway bar (rsb) so if you do get an older year you'll have to do a mod to get one on

it really depends on what you want to do with the car. if you plan on swaping it then all you really need is a straight chasis with minimal body damage.

if you are looking to keep the engine but do some bolt on's and maybe a turbo get a new one with a 2.2 or a 2.5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help i will probaly just get a pre 96 then im from washington i thought of my name cuase when i go snowboarding and take my dads trail blazer up it has a 343 ci in it witch is the a limited edition motor for that cause it is made for subrbans and the biggest motor for the trail blazer with 4x4 the ss has a 427 but no 4x4 and it is fun to me to whip it around in the parking lot at the mountians so that is how i came up with sno drift

·
Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,202 Posts
dur dur duurrrrrrr. jk.

i would have gone pre 96 so i could swap on a budget had i known earlier.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
There are alot of stupid different things that are 100% swappable to other newer parts.

The diff and flange is different on the 1.8 is different. The subframe holding the diff is different. The bumper, grill, hood, and light are different. The abs is different if you have it, E2 and 5.3/5.3i.

Those are a few that I have found out from owning my 95L.

·
Registered
1999 Gunmetal Widebody 3.3RS
484 Posts
There are alot of stupid different things that are 100% swappable to other newer parts.

The diff and flange is different on the 1.8 is different. The subframe holding the diff is different. The bumper, grill, hood, and light are different. The abs is different if you have it, E2 and 5.3/5.3i.

Those are a few that I have found out from owning my 95L.
you say the subframe is different, do u have to change that out to put a newer diff in? say a wrx 4.11?

also suspension wise, the L, brighton and obs are swapable with early model wrx and rs's yes?

how bout legacy's suspension and crossmember wise does anyone know if they are the same?

sorry to hi jack your thread :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts