Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the map provided in the first post of this thread , I noticed that the values are increasingly negative as the rpms and load deflection increase.

I compared that to the stage 3 map (for cams) that I had received from Sean (RalliTek). The values on this map are increasingly positive (+5 at 6200rpms WOT). I'm wondering if this is because a non-OEM camshaft set-up flows much more air, and thus it is necessary to compensate by adding more fuel, instead of leaning it out like what they do for the non-cammed RS map.

Another interesting thing to note is that on the stage 3 (cams) map, the timing has been pulled instead of advanced.

Here are my questions that I would like to ask:

1. Relevant mods (i.e. CAI, cams, exhaust, etc)
2. What is the air-fuel ratio that you tune for, all along the rpm range?
3. On a scale of 1-5, how conservatively do you tune? 1 for "all day everyday no matter what the conditions" and 5 for "only 97 octane on a cold wet day"
4. What is the max. analog value that your own map has?
5. What is the max. ignition value that your map has?
6. Do you tune with a knock sensor, wideband, or both?

I'll start out the census with what I'm doing, although I'm not 100% certain it's correct (hence me starting this thread).

1. CAI, Delta cams, P&P heads, 10.5:1 CR forged pistons on EJ257, flywheel, pulley, PP6 running stage 3 rallitek map, MRT EQL headers, 2.5" exhaust.
2. I've read to tune to around 12.5:1 for max power... however I'm still running mid-13's for AFR at WOT despite setting the analog as high as 9 in some boxes.
3. I'd say 5 at the scale right now. It's scary tuning on 91 oct and still getting knock.
4. 9
5. 0 (I tried 1 in the high boxes but the car DID NOT RUN WELL)
6. I tune with both a TXS Knocklite and a PLX-M300 wideband

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS SILVER
299 Posts
I jsut finished my N/A buld and it is very similar to yours, you should check out the pics in the phot gallery. I am not trying to hijack your thread, but how easy was your install for the PP6 becasue that is all i got left to install? Did you use the wiring diagram they sent you? I think i might jsut get mine dyno tuned.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pele - It was rather easy to install... just spend half an hour with your ECU harness in front of you, and the PP6, and study the wiring diagram. Whenever I do any install, I always study it so that I memorize the steps like the back of my hand, and so that I can pretty much do the install without looking at the instructions. If you want, get some masking tape, and label the appropriate wires. The biggest mistake you can make is to start cutting right away. Check, recheck, and then recheck to make sure you've got the right wire.

scooby_snacks - That sucks. :( Mind linking me to your problem thread?

Guys, I'm hoping more people give their input. I'm sure there's at LEAST a dozen guys on this board who have PP6's and have tuned it themselves, even just a little bit. I'll get some of the aftermarket turbo kit guys to chime in on some of the relevant stuff like fuelling.

·
Registered
04 Outback H6 aka old man car
335 Posts
Migo how did you wire it in? Crank sensor? or did you wire it through the ignition?
I've just started looking at the maps (I didn't have a notebook to connect to the PP6 until recently.)

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC I think I wired it in the traditional way - through the ignition. Basically I can't leave it in the ACC ON position without burning out the coil pack.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
I didn't get round to doing a thread. It caused to me too many basic problems to start. After all the hassle I went through with it I had lost all faith with it and didn't trust it to run my car. I found it very difficult to actually get the tuning info needed off other people. LetItSnow on nasioc knows a shit ton about the pp6 and is a great help.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've talked to LetItSnow, he's moved on to other things after struggling with the PP6.

However, I'm still going to keep trying. I mean, I don't think I've fully explored its capabilities yet, I'm just still confused on how to work with the software or what the values really mean. For instance, I tried advancing timing by 1 degree, from 0 degrees. BAM-BAM-BAM at 5k-redline, nonstop knock. I adjusted fuel in some areas by increasing it up to 9, and my AFR didn't really drop anywhere below 13.3:1...

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump... still looking for info from self-tuners. :D

Quick question - does anyone have any map whatsoever that has ANY advanced timing (i.e. any value greater than zero)?

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased mine secondhand, not through RalliTek. In fact, they were generous enough to provide me with a map for free, when normally they charge upwards of $50. I don't expect them to go out of their way and help me when I didn't give them any business in the first place... it's a waste of time for them and I wouldn't want to do that to a busy guy like Sean.

So yeah, anyway....

Back to my question. Someone mentioned somewhere that the PP6 is incapable of advancing timing more than zero degrees. I'd like to either confirm this or have the myth busted. Does anyone here have a map that has positive ignition values?

·
Registered
1990 legacy wagon
679 Posts
PP6 will not advance timing. It TRIES, but due to the Subaru ignition system, it won't.

My tuning info.

1. Relevant mods (i.e. CAI, cams, exhaust, etc)
7-1 compression hybrid motor running 30 psi out a twincharge setup....
2. What is the air-fuel ratio that you tune for, all along the rpm range?
I shoot for 12-1 with meth injection
3. On a scale of 1-5, how conservatively do you tune? 1 for "all day everyday no matter what the conditions" and 5 for "only 97 octane on a cold wet day"
I "can" have as many maps as I want, but since its not a daily driver, its tuned for max power all the time.
4. What is the max. analog value that your own map has?
Since I use a rrfpr, combined with 800 cc modded injectors, I pull fuel up top, like -20.
5. What is the max. ignition value that your map has?
Pull timing
6. Do you tune with a knock sensor, wideband, or both?
wideband.

·
Registered
1990 legacy wagon
679 Posts
Also, instead of advancing timing, you can pull fuel (maf signal), which will A- cause you to make more power due to being as lean as possible while still making power, and B- the stock ECU will advance timing a tad because its getting a leaner signal that reality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts