Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after fixing some minor problems with my car(coil pack, TB gasket) i was so excited to hook up the PP6 once again and play with the tuning. When i started data loging i noticed that the pp6 was reading about half the RPMs(300-400). since i'm not the best at diagnosis, i figured i'd see if anyone knew enough about this unit to give me a direction for diagnosis.
i have a 2000 rs with the older style pp6 hooked up to crankshaft signal. i'm curious, what does the ignition pullup do and crank sensor +/- do for the piggyback? since i live in hell(pheonix) i am gussing either the piggyback unit may have gotten fried in the sun since the tach on the dash reads correct RPM, and car works great with the bridge connector or i suck at soldering and either one of or both ignition signal/pull up wires for one group of cylinders is getting a bad connection. the weird thing is the car seems to misfire at idle only, plus going rich after deccel around 2000rpms. also i seem to be topping out my deflection at 80-85%, is this normal. I know this isn't the best engine management but at least i'll get my feet wet at tuning.
maybe someone has the wiring setup that runs off the cam sensor? but any help would be great, thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had a similar problem with my RPM not reading correctly, it was about 1000RPM lower than it should be at any given time. I don’t remember which one but it was one of my global setting was off. Most people wire it in using the ignition coil for timing and not the crank trigger, most base maps are written with the gloabls to match the ignition setup. You most likely have something wrong in there. Question why did you wire it in using crank trigger? This set up does not have the ability to control timing, so all you can really do is pull fuel.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
amorton said:
Question why did you wire it in using crank trigger? This set up does not have the ability to control timing.
The crank trigger does have the ability to control timing. If you can change when the marks get to the ECU you can control timing.

·
Registered
2000 RS 2.5 SRP Coupe
1,288 Posts
According to my PP6 running off the crank sensor my motor revved to 20k daily...
Double check the settings to make sure they match what they should be for reading the crank sensor signal. You could also give Sean at RalliTek a call, hes pretty good at diagnosining PP6 issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts