Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Impreza 2.0 GL AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know the part number for the o-ring that goes on the bottom of the power steering reservoir on a 1996 n/a two liter Impreza? It's the type with the reservoir bolted on top of the pump and the o-ring sits on the connector coming out of the reservoir. I've tried a few sizes of normal o-rings, but it seems to need a square cross section o-ring to seal properly.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
I recently serviced my PS pump and reservoir and I used Subaru o-ring # 31266GA020. That's the part number it calls for my car but it's a 1999 2.5RS. But it also might fit your power steering reservoir.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza 2.0 GL AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but this isn't for the type of system i have. It appears my type is often called the "early" type and is only used before '97.

I did find a random o-ring lying around that fit pretty well but i'm not sure how long it'll last. The original one was brittle and hard as a rock but i was able to get some measurements.

Old seal (approximate)
OD: 13,00mm
ID: 11,50mm
Height 2,25mm
Thickness (OD to ID) 1,50mm

Reservoir connector's groove for the seal
Diameter: 11,50mm
Height: 3,00mm

The diameter of the hole in the pump where the reservoir connects is 13,50mm.

Here's a picture of the system with the o-ring in question highlighted.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I had to replace the same o-ring on my '95, I have the same system you have. I used a random ring from one of those o-ring kits from a hardware store, held up so far. I'd really like to swap to a newer divorced reservoir style pump though.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza 2.0 GL AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a major ps leak. The tank seal washer was crushed. The rubber on the metal washer gets worn out.

This the info for 1999

Nipple o-ring P/N is 34427AA060
Tank (Seal) washer P/N is 34443AA010

Power steering reservoir seals | Subaru Outback Forums

Thanks, but this is also for a newer system. The early system only has one seal on it and is bolted to the pump from the outside of the tank.

It doesn't matter for me now anyway. My power steering went missing after a longer highway run earlier this week and afterwards i found glitter in my fluid. Probably a combination of old fluid and a 23 year old pump. It works okay-ish when dead cold but it's clearly lacking in pressure when the fluid warms up and sometimes needs a few lock-to-lock turns with 3000 rpms to make it wake up again.

Doesn't leak anymore though :curse:

I bought a used pump/tank combo from a -98 Forester that has the tank directly moulded into the pump so it should be less prone to leaking. From what i've seen in pictures, it's the same unit that is used on V3 Imprezas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts