Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Like title states Im in the process of purchasing a GM2 (97 Impreza Coupe Brighton EJ18 5MT 187K talked down to $500 because of the issues coming up) It definitely needs alot of love. But Ive always wanted a Subaru coupe, so I'm willing to put all the love into it.

I was told it was running, but upon arriving to check it out, battery was dead. Engine was filthy, no standing oil, and didnt really see any fresh leakage. Checked oil, it was definitely old. Coolant looked fine. Now on to the "Surprise!!!"

We jumped it, and whattaya know?! Knock knock!! Now Ive done some research and know it could definitely be a trashed engine, a simple timing belt tensioner or everything in between! I noticed the knock didnt adjust with revs, it was only evident at idle. Fingers crossed its the timing belt tensioner. But just in case, I've been searching for some back up engines.

So heres where I need some edumacation / Guidance

I've read that a 2.0/2.2 will drop in, swap over intake from 1.8 and done, from what I've read. BUT, I came across something about Phase 1 Phase 2, and its got me lost. Is that just for 2.5s or all engines?

And with the engines Ive found, The one that I found closest to me is a 2.2 from a 91 legacy Wagon L with auto trans. Person says its runs, and I can hear it run, sent pics of emission tag, and a pic of what looks like the plastic cover over intake. From what little bit of google told me, Im assuming its a EJ22. With it being an older engine, itll still swap in right? And if so with it being an automatic, is there anything besides the obvious, that needs to be changed?

I appreciate the help, and hopefully look forward to owning a soon to be running coupe Ive always wanted!

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
868 Posts
Welcome! The phases apply to the 2.2 engines as well, i know for sure the 98-01 has single port exhaust and the earlier ines were dual. 1997 was a crossover year so there are certain 98-01 parts on your car but most of them are 93-97. Ive only ever been around one '97 so i dont know engine specifics offhand other than the interior has the newer style HVAC in a one-off 93-97 style dashboard.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hello all!

Like title states Im in the process of purchasing a GM2 (97 Impreza Coupe Brighton EJ18 5MT 187K talked down to $500 because of the issues coming up) It definitely needs alot of love. But Ive always wanted a Subaru coupe, so I'm willing to put all the love into it.

I was told it was running, but upon arriving to check it out, battery was dead. Engine was filthy, no standing oil, and didnt really see any fresh leakage. Checked oil, it was definitely old. Coolant looked fine. Now on to the "Surprise!!!"

We jumped it, and whattaya know?! Knock knock!! Now Ive done some research and know it could definitely be a trashed engine, a simple timing belt tensioner or everything in between! I noticed the knock didnt adjust with revs, it was only evident at idle. Fingers crossed its the timing belt tensioner. But just in case, I've been searching for some back up engines.

So heres where I need some edumacation / Guidance

I've read that a 2.0/2.2 will drop in, swap over intake from 1.8 and done, from what I've read. BUT, I came across something about Phase 1 Phase 2, and its got me lost. Is that just for 2.5s or all engines?

And with the engines Ive found, The one that I found closest to me is a 2.2 from a 91 legacy Wagon L with auto trans. Person says its runs, and I can hear it run, sent pics of emission tag, and a pic of what looks like the plastic cover over intake. From what little bit of google told me, Im assuming its a EJ22. With it being an older engine, itll still swap in right? And if so with it being an automatic, is there anything besides the obvious, that needs to be changed?

I appreciate the help, and hopefully look forward to owning a soon to be running coupe Ive always wanted!
Great deal

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well its here, got a set of newer subaru wheel/tires with it. Plus a bunch of random parts, (Cluster, alternator, grill, and more I havent gone through)

Threw a new battery in, and fired up and drove it a bit, Knock sounds alot worse then when I first saw the car.
Trans is smooth, clutch needs adjusted or replaced.

So I guess I'll see if it's the belt tensioner, or something more serious. <== Thinking this.

Im going to check out a EJ22 tomorrow, but I got a question, since its an older model motor (1991), is there anything different from say a 97-99 EJ22?

Thank you all, and Cant wait to tear this thing apart, and get er back on the road!!

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Plant

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

· Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
302 Posts
Looks like a good deal for $500.
Also looks like it could use some new springs/struts or coils.
N/a engines are a dime a dozen, and readily available in junkyards. Do your research and you can have it running like a top for very little money

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its on some coil overs. Haven't had a chance to actually see what kind.

Bought a running 91 EJ22 with 110k miles for $300, sounded pretty healthy, but still going to tear it down and do HG, timing belt / accessories, gaskets, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts