Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so after looking into relocating the battery in my friends bug eye "show n go build" I started considering the idea of relocating my gc battery a little more. I have the general idea on how to relocate the battery, but I have seen several variations and got me thinking, why not a thread showing what you did and why? Ill be sure to post my own when I relocate once the deep freeze has left the area :puppy_dog

·
Registered
00 Impreza RS
53 Posts
I've moved my battery to the back right of my trunk on my GC8. Didn't really do it for any reason really, just something to do while I had the motor out.
I ran 0gage wire from the engine compartment to a 200a breaker then to the battery. Then more 0gage from my amps/stereo to a 100a breaker then battery. Ran a 0gage thru the floor and to the frame. A little overkill but I think it was worth it.
Ebay has some cheap CNC optima battery holders too!

I'll try and figure out how to post pictures and put some up here if I remember.

~Justin

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,627 Posts
Here's mine:

If i had a smaller battery box, I would have put it on the right side of the trunk. Main reason I moved it was so that my surge tank could go where the stock battery used to be.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's pictures...little ghetto but it works!
Actually I think that one makes a lot of sense. I would personally do more for mounting and securing, but I like the idea of using the top post for the car power and the side post for the amp or alternative power. less chance of a bad connection in my book.

Does anyone have any shots of any changed in the engine bay? Whether or not they installed a jump post or upgraded the grounding in the engine bay?

·
Registered
00 Impreza RS
53 Posts
It's very secure, unless you mean something like putting it in a box. I have mine bolted thru the floor with a billet plate attached at the base of the battery. It's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im paranoid, I saw one car come in to my old shop where the original rubber black that usually secured it on bottom slipped loose, and ended up rubbing away on the serp belt :biglaugh: needed new battery, terminals, serp belt and fan. Im not saying your setup isnt secure, just that I preferthe idea of having it boxed in.

·
Registered
02, OBS, Silvertan, 4EAT
9 Posts
As I have a wagon, I put it on the floor behind the passenger seat in a black plastic, marine battery box. Put some thead-serts through the floor and strapped it down to the back of the seat brackets. Ran #1 cable under the console and thru the firewall using the deleted air conditioning line grommet. I haven't had anyone in the back in a couple of years.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the look of that, the box in the original battery was a good touch.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
I have a Odyssey gel battery that i want to put under my seat, anyone have mini batteries theyve put there?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
sub'd for future project.

i was thinking about putting a mini one in the rear hatch in the panel where the jack used to be.

·
Registered
359 Posts
some day, when i relocate the battery to the trunk. i will use a subwoofer enclosure as the battery box, so i can confuse people with it

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS, 2013 Legacy 3.6R
119 Posts
Not relocated, but I installed a Odyssey PC680FMJ in the factory location of my 1999 RS. I cut the stock, plastic battery tray to the size of the 680, then applied some thin closed cell foam to both sides of it. I put a strip of the foam underneath the Kartboy battery tiedown for good measure too. I don't DD this car, so I also installed the hard wire kit for the CTEK MUS 4.3 charger. In one of the pictures you can see where the charger is plugged in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the one thing I keep noticing is that people have the circuit breaker near the battery, which I understand the idea of safety but I have yet to see a vehicle from the factory with such a precaution. For instance we have the cable from an e36 convertible, which has the battery in the trunk. Everything from the battery post in the trunk to the jump terminal box under the hood, no fuse/circuit breaker. So what are general thoughts on this?

Hes buying new wire for himself, that length didnt reach where it was needed... maybe itll fit my gc:mamoru:

·
Impreza Connoisseur
95 RSTi coupe, 05 STi, 05 FXT
582 Posts
I will post pics of my setup tonight. As a teaser, I am running a Braille 11.5 lbs battery with a Braille aluminum mounting kit right behind the passenger seat on the floor. Cutoff switch is located in the center of my switch panel dash:

·
Registered
05 Evo 8 SSL & 99 GC Coupe
1,257 Posts
I havent decided if ima buy/fab a box or what, but for now ima just drill 2 holes and tie it down with Jhooks. If anyone is wondering, my battery is a Speciality Optima Blue Top(34M) for cars. Yeah its kinda heavy, but it has 1000 CCA as well as the Aux posts for any and all of my accessories. If I really want less weight I can just swap in my Odyssey PC680 but unless ima race, I could careless about 30lbs extra.

·
Registered
00 GC8, 99 TS, 00 RS, 97 B-wag
100 Posts
Being a welder, i have made my own bracket in the rear of the car that holds the battery very securely. pics soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts