Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS wagon
246 Posts
Heyy guys, had a question about a law for P-plater's hoping you can help me out.
As you may know, P-platers cannot have any performance moddifications. Its an absolute crock, becuase can enthusiests (not "hoons") cant do the thing we love. I addor my car, but cant do anything major to it.

Thats beside the point, my question was: The car is in my dad's name, its insured with him, in every sense its my dads car. Can I then have moddifications because I only drive it occationaly, and its not my car ;) ?

I understand that a cop would have to suspect somthing and look in the engine bay, only to see nothings (lol love boxer engines, they hide headers).

Anybody know?? Thanks, much appreciated.
best advice would be read into your states laws, or someone that genuinely knows what they're talking about, not every one on the internet gets their facts right

my understanding of the laws in QLD is; P plates cannot drive any vehicle with a modification that needs a mod plate (major things like aftermarket boost, different engine/gearbox etc)
small things like wheels, swaybars, exhausts are ok (exhausts must be under noise limit)

there are exceptions for factory turbo diesel, and if your only family car is V8/turbo etc, you need to get approval from Transport dept

so even though its in your dads name, you wouldnt be able to drive it without approval (if VIC laws are the same as here)

·
Registered
MY04 WRX STi Silver
1,504 Posts
Dammit, thanks. Probaly will do anyways lol, not like they will see them if i lift the bonnet. Also, they would have to have a reason for looking. Im not a dickhead on the roads like most commodor driving P-platers. As i said, love my car too much :D Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS wagon
246 Posts
Dammit, thanks. Probaly will do anyways lol, not like they will see them if i lift the bonnet. Also, they would have to have a reason for looking. Im not a dickhead on the roads like most commodor driving P-platers. As i said, love my car too much :D Thanks.
I could be wrong, you should investigate the laws in vic, could be different to mine, but I doubt they're that lax about it

·
Registered
MY04 WRX STi Silver
1,504 Posts
It sounds about right.
Victorian cops are PRICKS!!
Was dropping my friends car home (both in separate cars going to his house) He has a integra FWD and i have a AWD. They followed us down the street up untill his court, probably thinking we were going to do burnouts. There not only pricks, they are stupid. They rigidly enforce the law, with no regard for its intent. However, the water police are very understanding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
haha yeah
ive been pulled over 11 times
its not the best thing =[
only once did the cops check under my bonnet for a turbo and such.
i even had to pull out the car manual and prove it wasnt turbo :jerkit:
but as for mods.. you cant do much to a n/a subaru...
apart from headers which make ya car sound nicer
andd zaust and rims etc etc.
if youre after extractors im getting some in in january..
they shud be about 250-270$
im gettin a few in so if anybodys intrested?
lemmie know :rolleyes4

·
Registered
96 Posts
haha yeah
ive been pulled over 11 times
its not the best thing =[
only once did the cops check under my bonnet for a turbo and such.
i even had to pull out the car manual and prove it wasnt turbo :jerkit:
but as for mods.. you cant do much to a n/a subaru...
apart from headers which make ya car sound nicer
andd zaust and rims etc etc.
if youre after extractors im getting some in in january..
they shud be about 250-270$
im gettin a few in so if anybodys intrested?
lemmie know :rolleyes4
I may have some one who is after a set. Will let you know.

·
Registered
2001 wrx
102 Posts
i had a vy ss commy ute and got pulled up every time i went driving :p
ive had my impreza for 12 months now and have only been pulled over once for brake light out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
help guys!
i think my engine is overheating! its not showing on my tacho..
but after i drive and open bonnet.. its boiling hot..the block.
is my radiator blocked? or have i done a headgasket?

·
Registered
48 Posts
help guys!
i think my engine is overheating! its not showing on my tacho..
but after i drive and open bonnet.. its boiling hot..the block.
is my radiator blocked? or have i done a headgasket?

Monitor your fluids to see if one goes up while another goes down.
Check for oil in your water - black or white blobs in radiator water, have a look under the radiator cap. If you've got this, then good chance head gasket is leaking. Also if there's water getting into your pots then you'll be experiencing severe loss in power. If you've got rusty water in radiator, then good chance there's a blockage, most probably in the core.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Monitor your fluids to see if one goes up while another goes down.
Check for oil in your water - black or white blobs in radiator water, have a look under the radiator cap. If you've got this, then good chance head gasket is leaking. Also if there's water getting into your pots then you'll be experiencing severe loss in power. If you've got rusty water in radiator, then good chance there's a blockage, most probably in the core.
water getting into my brake pots? or?

·
Registered
MY04 WRX STi Silver
1,504 Posts
Hey anybody know on average how much more a mandrell bend exhaust is?
I know it depends on alot of factors such as size, type of pipe etc. but say for comparisons sake, a custom 2.25 catback mandrell vs press bent. Anybody got a diffback or catback in mandrell. Iv been quoted $350 for a magnaflow crush bent diffback and $450 for a catback

·
Registered
MY05 2.5RS blek wagon!
417 Posts
No point/benifit going cat-back over axle-back IMO.

Also, I'd recommend 2" over 2.25. Again, you wont notice any power difference b/w the two; any change will be from the (restrictive stock) muffler replacement, and that change is debatable anyway.

As for pricing, the only reference I have is I got my diffback piping redone in 2" crushbent mildsteel and it set me back $80, which I thought was reasonable.
Most of that cost is the magnaflow muffler (which are pricey, but very good quality pieces of kit), which sounds like a pretty good price for one.

121 - 140 of 269 Posts