Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Should posts in OT count towards a users total?

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says folks, do you want posts in the OT forum to count towards you total? The reasoning behind turning them off is to make it more clear who actually posts "useful" information in the other forums, vs. just goofing off in OT.

If you're here, please vote - thanks! :D

·
Registered
'05 LGT / '06 STi
539 Posts
Ok, I voted yes, but as long as I could keep my current count, I would be ok with them not counting. Talk about double standards! :lol: :lol:

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A whopping six people have voted... and it's neck to neck - 2 yes, 2 no, and 2 undecided! I don't think enough people care! 'll let this sit for a while and then make a decision... :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you can make OT posts count under a seperate heading, that might be better. You could come up with titles based on their OT posts. Otherwise, count all posts, or don't count any.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
i voted no...but please don't erase the post count....i dun wanna be a 2.0litre again...hehe

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,537 Posts
I voted no, and that might mean that I'll have to work my way back up to 2.0L, but I can deal with that. I shouldn't loose too many posts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to go with no...and anyone who's posts are all in OT, oh well. It'll be misleading to see 200 posts right now, when 198 of them are shameless whoring in OT.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose if I am going to change it, now is the time, huh? I'll let a few more people vote but it looks like they're not going to count. If I make the change it'll be this weekend.

And to make things fair I'll probably reset the post count when I do it because otherwise I'll be maintaining the board in, like, 3 months, and forget this topic, and accidentally reset everyone and then they will all SCREAM! :curse:

I bet you all can't wait till these first days of me learning to run a club are past, huh guys? :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Okay, I originally posted undecided, but I have changed my mind to yes, and here is why. If they stop counting toward total, then people, not necessarily anyone currently on here, but new people will come in and start whoring in other threads. Not as noticable whoring mind you, but just sticking posts on to things that consist of nothing more than "I Agree" or "That Sucks." Just to move their total up.. I would rather have people whose totals are misleadingly high, than to have a bunch of extra crap to scroll through in the on topic forums. And I think that it is good to have someplace to go to talk about other things in our lives.
Not that there is much else inmy life besides the car...oh wait...my fiance...
:yikes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
i like the idea of having 2 post counters. 1 for Off-topic, and the other for everything else. this way we can tell who and who not to ask certain questions too

if i want to know about my subaru, i will ask someone with a higher (or not so drastically different) post count for normal forums.
if i want to know movie title or favorite band, i'll ask an off-topic junkie

:happynow:

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess I am waffling a little bit at this point. It's a tough decision to make, but I personally would rather see "stupid" posts in off-topic, and not in the regular forums. I really like the idea of the regular topics going in the direction that they are - meaninful information about the RS.

And of course those folks who just want to post to make their count higher will do it wherever they get points, so that would clutter up the regular forums, which I think is the demise of good information - having to wade through pages and pages of fluff.

I'm going to leave posts counting in off-topic and hope that those post whores can contain their silliness to OT which will be good for everyone. I think we can all tell the quality of an answer by the person answering it or the very quality of the answer iteself, not neccessarily the number of posts the person has. I, for one, may not have a ton of posts, but I feel that I know a fair amount about the RS - at least my model year - and will offer sound advice when needed.

So that's that! Poll closed! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also like the idea of having 2 post counters. One for OT and one for everything else if possible.

Eric

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I changed my mind again (I'm allowed :p ) and now posts in off-topic DON'T count towards your totals. Sorry!

I decided to do that just to slow down posts a bit, seeing as how the bandwidth is getting a big hit right now and my server is not up to snuff. Overall I feel that will keep the site running quickly for everyone which I think is more important than user titles. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts