Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
De-power rack and pinion manual steering - ClubRoadster.net

I know enough of you on here own miatas, but even if you don't have a miata, do this to any of your cheap RWD vehicles, as it's the best mod possible.

Without power steering, road feel is vastly improved, meaning you know exactly what each and every tire is doing and how close to the limit of grip you are at any point. It's pure win.

·
Registered
White 1998 Impreza OBS
55 Posts
I have no ps in my circle track mustang and he's right, you can literally feel when each part of the car slips and moves around...as for daily driving, I occasionally drive a work truck with no PS and it's not too bad, but it'd get kinda annoying after a while.

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
I was considering doing this on the RS to remove all the lines and what not but want to pick up a FWD rack first because I need it anyways.

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
Interested in doing this next year. Looking to pick up an L&E Steering Column and match it up to a 1.8L fwd rack that has been power steering deleted.... may just keep the PS and add a cooler to it however. We shall see. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Without power steering, road feel is vastly improved, meaning you know exactly what each and every tire is doing and how close to the limit of grip you are at any point. It's pure win.
You mean road feel on just the front tires is partially improved. It's hardly vastly. I've already done this mod on Miatas in Japan. It's a waste of time. Just get better bushings and deal with easier parking with your PS.

If your Miata is a dedicated track car, then by all means, do it all. Just not worth it on a DD.

I occasionally drive a work truck with no PS and it's not too bad, but it'd get kinda annoying after a while.
Don't forget to mention that trucks have gigantic steering wheels. Making the lack of power steering easier to deal with. Tiny Miatas that originally came with PS don't, nor even have much space for a larger steering wheel.

·
Registered
2009 BL5, 2001 RS
3,472 Posts
My brothers del sol had no power steering. That thing was a workout.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
I learned to drive on an older civic coupe with no power as well. They call it "Armstrong Steering" because it makes your Arms Strong ;)

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Ever try to parallel park a car with Armstrong steering?
Yup, I learned to drive in a car with no power assited steering, 1975 Datsun 710 station wagon. Not nearly as bad as bypassing the power steering, that's aweful. My new car has that electrical power steering, can't move the wheel at all when the car isn't running.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
My Daihatsu Mira J Turbo didn't have power steering. As long as it was moving more than like 10 mph, it was fine. It took a couple months before I could drive it with a single arm while parking.

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
as some one who has owned a number of miatas and have done the depowered rack thing, its all in your head. give me p/s any day of the week.

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but every time I've had a PS belt break, it has felt like a completely different car, like a real drivers car.

I'm guessing you can feel the change in resistance to steering inputs, and that's a key to the amount of weight being shifted on to the front or back wheels. It's much more communicative than with power steering.

Parking really isn't a problem, because the miata is rwd, which doesn't cause the front wheels to want to move all that much, they're pretty independent of power inputs, which is what would make it more difficult to steer on a de-powered FWD or AWD vehicle.

As long as you're moving, you don't really need to make more effort towards steering.

I'm not the only one to realize this either, the
Italians are sending in the new Alpha without PS. They know.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Without power steering you do get more feedback from the front tires, but you lose steering speed. If what you're driving requires quick hard fast turns, you're going to want the power steering.

Why? Cause a car with power steering is designed to turn quickly. What I mean is lock to lock is going to probably be half, maybe even less than that of a non-power steering car. If they didn't do this, you'd end up with a terribly heavy steering or a gigantic steering wheel.

Also parking is still an issue. Doesn't matter if the Miata is RWD or not. If the car isn't moving, it's harder to twist the wheel on a non-ps car vs a ps car. To make it easier, you need to have the car rolling a little on the non-ps car. At parking speed, whether the power goes to the front tires or rear tires isn't going to make a difference.

For day to day driving, giving up your PS is just a horrible choice. Giving it up cause "race car" can also be a horrible choice, based on what kind of racing your doing. There's no right or wrong answer to getting rid of it.

I can tell you, you're going to hate having no power steering on any Miata if you're racing on nothing but switchbacks. It'll also slow you way the hell down compared to a Miata with power steering.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
I'm not the only one to realize this either, the
Italians are sending in the new Alpha without PS. They know.
Yes but Italians are batshit crazy and despite being cute and pretty, their cars are cheap little deathtraps for the most part. Having lived in Greece and seen many Fiats, Alphas and Lancias torn to pieces (as well as their drivers) I'll never use an Itie car as a benchmark unless it has a prancing horse on the hood :p

·
Registered
'00 2.5rs coupe
1,628 Posts
Having owned two Miatas with PS, I can tell you with confidence that the steering wheel feel was just fine ...

You guys have seen the big dually UPS delivery trucks? When I worked at a UPS hub I drove one of those every night for 2 years: try a chunky 255 tire with about 5 tons worth of metal on top of them and parking in impossibly tight motor pools ... yeah no thanks, that turned me off to non-PS vehicles for good.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
My first three cars were non PS (Full on POS though) and i don't see any problem with PS on he right car. Not familiar with how miata does it but feel can be maintained with a good PS system.

I would keep it.

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
I had no PS in my Impreza when it was a 2400 lb car. It was mostly ok except for at a dead stop. Now that it is a 3000 lb street car, no PS would have sucked, I put it back in. I really want a Q rack now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts