Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound a little stupid or a little ghetto-fabulous but this guy that lives next to me gave me an idea that seems logical but still almost insane. Tell why this won't work please. Or would it?

He was telling me about this boat that he was working on that had an fume blower on it that pressed out about 5psi of air. He bought this for $25. He was telling me that logically it would work the same way a turbo would but on a 12volt battery without the need of the exhaulst. Would there be a way to hook one of these blower motors up in a intake and use it as an electronic turbo that you can switch on an off like you can with NOS (or possibly hook it up to the tach to turn on at a certain RPM). Then have that running through an old Intercooler out of a junkyard. Of course you would have to do the process of bypassing the boost sensor, but it would be a cheap way of making boost. Is this a logical idea or am I just getting the Boost bug.:drool:

·
Registered
No Subie to see here, carry on
109 Posts
That 5psi is 5spi of pressure. How many CFM does it flow? If it's about 200 or more, then you might be able to get it to work.

As for the intercooler, you probably don't need it since there's no hot turbo to go subsonic on you and heat up the air.

Chad
93 1.8T

·
Registered
852 Posts
Turbochargers, superchargers and compressors

In this family of applications the high speed alternator is coupled to turbomachinery and operates as a motor and/or generator. When coupled to the turbocharger of a conventional piston engine, the high speed alternator provides the means of controlling its speed independently of the engine. This significantly reduces the turbo lag and therefore minimises pollutant emissions. Alternatively, the motor can be coupled to a separate direct driven compressor and provide a supplementary source of compressed air to the engine. This electric supercharger can operate either in parallel or in series with the turbocharger. In addition, this direct driven compressor product is considered to be suitable for the industrial air compressor market.

I found this at: http://www.hoovers.com/cgi-bin/offsite?site=HUK&url=http://www.turbogenset.com

Electric turbochargers are an intersting concept, where instead of kicking in a certian RPM, they can hit boost at any speed due to its being independently powered, i.e. not relying on exhaust gas to drive it.

Graham

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
You know, for $50, it probably couldn't hurt to try it out at least. Get a zenier diode for the voltage clamp on the MAP sensor. I don't know if will run too lean, though, gotta watch for that. Anyways, how big is that fume blower? What kind of current draw does it have? If it's drawing a lot of power, you'll overwork the alternator. Oh, and where can they be purchased?:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Graham-I already checked out the Turbogenset route. They won't even give commoners like us specs on what models they make. My friend has his own local auto customization business. I told them that I was tied in with his company and were thinking about manufacturing a kit using their unit. No deal. Do you read the part about how could attach the turbine into the exhaust stream just like a conventional turbo. The exhaust flowing through the turbine wheel spins the alternator and bam-you have another alternator.

SubaDan-post a picture (I don't care what qaulity) of this blower you are talking about. It just may work. Ther is an axial flow fan electric supercharger setup that is claimed to produce 1psi. The problem is I think the brushed motor they incorporate isn't capable of producing enough torque keep those blade spinning really fast under load. Also the fan assembly flows a lot of air but isn't the best design for creating positive pressure.

TurboGenset:

E-Ram:

Attachments

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no pics and have never seen a blower of the type the guy was talking of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts