Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there are big... massive threads on the radiator and or fans for swapped gc's and I have read most of them. What I have not seen brought up or maybe I missed is this. I was wondering if anyone thought of the possibility of using the Koyo Hyper V series for the GD sti. It is only 36mm thick, but it does have the upper hose still in the middle.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Terrible idea?

Is there an overall better alternative for the phase 1 imprezas(up to 97)?

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Does you car have the radiators end tanks on the sides? Or does it have the plastic end tanks on the top and bottom of the radiator?

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually away from my car right now because I broke something/sti swap starting soon. But I currently have the 1.8 radiator in there so I would have to check this weekend where the tanks are. I am kind of assuming my tanks are top and bottom.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Well, the reason I bring it up is because there are radiators that are sold that are pretty much perfect for a GC swap. Full aluminum, they have the extra port for the hose coming from the reservoir on the intake manifold, and they don't have a radiator cap.

The only thing is I'm not sure if it'll fit in your car with your stock AC condenser, because of the side end tanks. I've read (but never seen personally) that the side end tanks can hit the ports of the condenser and essentially just not fit because of that.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't it be fine if I just use an sti ac condenser? If that happens to be a problem?

·
Registered
2000 RS Sedan SRP
180 Posts
Well, the reason I bring it up is because there are radiators that are sold that are pretty much perfect for a GC swap. Full aluminum, they have the extra port for the hose coming from the reservoir on the intake manifold, and they don't have a radiator cap.

The only thing is I'm not sure if it'll fit in your car with your stock AC condenser, because of the side end tanks. I've read (but never seen personally) that the side end tanks can hit the ports of the condenser and essentially just not fit because of that.
The koyorad (not sure which model) that came with my jdm STi swap was like that, I ended up having to use the jdm condensor.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
A JDM condenser (like Spf-ii) mentioned, would work totally fine with the side end tank radiators. I'm not sure what kind of fitment issues you'd run into with a USDM GD condenser.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I see what you mean. But the hyper v series is meant to for the gd. So I'm guessing the gd sti should work... gotta search around for that.

I mean people don't seem to have fitment problems with the stock sti rad.

The koyo hyper v series just seems so appealing because it is so thin.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Well, all i know from first hand experience with GD radiators is that while it will physically fit into the car, the lower mounts won't fit the GC chassis, and I don't think the upper mount thingies don't really fit either.

But yeah, you should be able to totally make the GD radiator work for you.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If only they made the hyper v series radiator for the gc chassis. That would be amazing

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Dude you're telling me. I went through 2 radiators last year due to these darn plastic end tanks.

·
Registered
2000 RS
686 Posts
The GD radiator will fit the GC. I have an 04 radiator, jut had to do custom brackets on the top. Someone just needs to make these custom brackets.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to be brutish, but don't you just take the brackets off the gd and take torch and or hammer to them if they decide they don't want to fit ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts