Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 VW GTI, the car has 31K miles on it, its on its 3rd tranny, and the cars an auto, power windows have broken 3 times, 3rd time just recently, no warranty anymore, and a small handful of other little things have gone wrong, i am just getting irritated with the car, and I am thinking of selling the car and buying a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS which was my first choice for a car, anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knew of anything I should look for in particular (problem wise) before I go ahead and buy a 2000 RS.

Thanks!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The only real problem on the RS's is the tranny, but that's only if you heavily mod the car; second gear has a tendancy to break if you turbo it and get the power up to 250+ hp. But if you stay NA, or keep boost down, it's not a problem. Oh, and some of the 00's had a bad batch of O2 sensors, but that was recalled and fixed, no big whoop. Besides that, Subaru's are pretty well put together, and there aren't really any problems with them. I have a 2000 with about 23.5K miles, and have added a bigger rear sway bar, front strut tower bar, cold air intake, K&N, and axel-back exhaust, and have had no problems whatsoever. Only warrenty work I've had done was that my factory CD player decided it didn't want to give me my CD' back.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
The car has been good to me, no problems yet. (Knocks on wood.) It loves me and I love it.

Nick C.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
RS's are nice cars. While I don't know about the older GTi's, the new ones are very nice and fast. My good friend has a GTi that with just a chip gets over 200whp! My car is very slow compared to his.

However, I still like the way my car feels and handles compared to his. And also, purely stock, the GTi, while still fun, isn't much faster at all.

If you are going to mod up a car and want pure speed, I'd go for a new GTi. It's going to take much more than a $400 chip to make the RS get anywhere near 200 at the wheels. However, the RS has AWD and a nice feel to it and is still very fun to drive. And further, if you are planning on putting a turbo on, then you can have handling and speed :)

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
RS = good, fun car + AWD + Torquey Engine + Reliable = Quick, great handling = worth it's weight in gold (well maybe not quite gold...)

Plus it has great tuning potential...:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts