Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey all, just wondering, for those of you who have Porterfield's R4-S (Street compound) pads, what kind of life expectancy can be expected.

I'm a pretty normal driver I guess, I mean I'm more aggressive than your average Camry driver, but that's about it. :) When I get the chance I do two autocrosses per year (averaging two runs per), but I didn't get to go to any this year at all. So, no I'm not a racer.

Another possible factor... I am using OEM rotors, but today ordered some new front rotors, as I had a steering wheel shudder at high speed when braking. Warpage. Brought the car into a very nearby brake/muffler shop that charges $15/ea. to resurface rotors. I was hoping they could, but the guy called and said there's "about 1/4 inch of warpage, if we turn them they'd just warp in a couple weeks."

So, had to order new ones. I could've gotten new OEMs really cheap from Exeter Subaru (www.subaruwrxparts.com), since they sell front WRX pairs for $100 (no sales tax either), but I opted for some Brembo solid cryogenically-treated versions from www.FrozenRotors.com . OEM size, no cross-drilling or slotting.
$84/each, pricey but I've heard tremendous things about cryo treatment.

Anyway!! With the new rotors, maybe that'd be a factor, maybe not. I have the pads on all four corners. Rears are still OEM, they're in good shape according to the shop.

Thanks. :)
-Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi,

They are EXCELLENT pads! Best I've ever used, great stopping
power, fade resistance, but put out tons of dust. They are
however fairly easy on the rotors so they will last comparably
to Repcos/Axxis pads.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My findings are the same. :) Lots of dust, but great performance.

I just installed, a few days ago, some new OEM-sized rotors from FrozenRotors.com (cryo-treated Brembo solid/vented). They're still breaking in, but I think the combo should be fantastic. About as good as it'll get, without moving up the rotor size or replacing with a new brake kit.

The pads will possibly help with braking distance a bit, but the rotors, being cryo-treated, supposedly fade a lot less (and last longer), so repeated braking distance should remain nearly the same, rather than worsening consecutively.

I wanted to up the rotor size to WRX rotor spec (since larger rotors will reduce stopping distance immediately), however my winter wheels wouldn't clear them. Oh well. :)

-Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts