Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
that was the homologation of Porsche's "Group B" car. i use the term loosely because they never ran a WRC event with it. they did do other high profile rallies, including winning Paris-Dakar (1986 IIRC). the actual race car was even faster :D no fucking restrictors on that sonnuvabiyatch :)

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
djb6 said:
Does anyone know why they left WRC?
Nod goes to JZ oo7 for posting this site, Thanks JZ!

http://autozine.kyul.net

Though written by an asian person with rather poor grammar, it has a very through write on the 959 and Porsche's rally effort. I found it fascinating, as the 959 may be the finest car ever built, and certainly at the time, the most ambitious. Check it out!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks, I will check it out. I had seen a show on The Learning Channel about porsche. That is when I learned about the 959.

It was cool to see how they went through some hard times, but managed to stay a float.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
djb6 said:
Does anyone know why they left WRC?
Porsche has never run a WRC event. Like I said, despite the 959 being a Gr B car, it was only used in Paris-Dakar. The site linked above goes into it abit, though, beyond the grammer issues ("dozens of million" :lol: ) there are some techinical issues too. IIRC, the Evolution editions only had to be produced in quantities of 25 not 30. speaking of which, here is an interesting tidbit (and happens to be a counter arguement to why that guy says Porsche shyed away from the WRC), if Gr B had survived to see the 1987 season, Ferrari was planning on running the tarmac events in the 288 GTO Evolution (IIRC, crazy long ass names make me think its really a jap car ;) ). that would have been quite the sight! it was RWD but you can't go wrong with 600bhp :eek: The RS200 Evo's would have been really cool too :( oh well.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT-T + 2006 STi
8 Posts
>Porsche has never run a WRC event

yes they did. Porsche ran plenty of world rallies although none were very recent. Ferrari also ran some early 80's rallies with the 308. BMW even ran an M1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This 959 was built to handle anything, and it's about as legal in the Several States as crack cocaine. What gives?
I wish they went into a little more detail than that. Is it because of maximium horsepower laws or is it something much deeper than that? Something tells me no car is as illegal as crack cocaine!
-Brad

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
gah! 308, not 288, that's right. damnit. they need to use names instead. i've never gotten "legacy" and "impreza" confused :)

anyway, Porsche ran rallies, but no events that were in the World Rally Championship, that's my point. this isn't to say that they didn't run international level rallies.

·
Registered
548 Posts
10th Warrior said:
gah! 308, not 288, that's right. damnit. they need to use names instead. i've never gotten "legacy" and "impreza" confused :)

anyway, Porsche ran rallies, but no events that were in the World Rally Championship, that's my point. this isn't to say that they didn't run international level rallies.
I thought they ran in a few WRC events. That is what I get for not paying complete attention to the show. I hear something about rally and miss the other part of the story.:lol:

But I do remeber seeing footage of the 959 in a rally event.

·
Registered
548 Posts
10th Warrior is right. Porsche never ran in the WRC event. They did ran in the Paris-Dakar event. Porsche didn't have enough time to make the 200 cars required by WRC. At least that is what I was able to find out.

I think it would have been fun to see some Group B footage.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just to lay down the law...

Porsche did not campaign a full factory TEAM for the WRC but they DID compete in a number of tarmac rallies, Corsica and Monte Carlo among them. The vast majority of their entries were in international non-WRC events though. They were not eligible for championship points so they were not considered to be contenders. You are correct that they did compete heavily in the Paris-Dakar and win.

The BMW M1 was a fearsome tarmac contender but was crippled on any other surface due to its weight and RWD.

The Ferrari rally car was the 288 GTO, not the 308 as has been stated, though they look very similar.

The 288GTO was never campaigned for a full season though they did put on a rather impressive showing at one or two events, and the project was retired when group B was banned.

The 288GTO evolution version is the direct predecessor of the F40, in fact they share the same chassis.

The 308 was Ferrari's economy car... it was used by a few privateer teams during the same period as "Group B" tarmac cars but it simply was not designed for that purpose and thus was something of a blunted tool.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The Porter has spoken.

d'oh. i was right. it was the 288 GTO. damnit, where's the monkey... :monkey: you ferrari.

also of note, toyota built a 600bhp MR2 for Group B that never got to run.

I know there were original 911s running Monte Carlo and such back in the 60's and 70's, but the WRC didn't start until 1979.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought the TV show showed Porsche in the Monte Carlo, but I didn't find any information on that race, just the race in Paris. I am glad there is enough people to know a little of everything.

·
Registered
548 Posts
10th Warrior, I didn't realize that Toyota had made a group B. In some cases I wish they would bring them back.

I know someone that is making an Audi Quattro Sport. He is sure going through a lot of work. But I can't wait to see it done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts