Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey members, I just purchased a 2001 2.5RS Sedan about 3 months ago...since then I have had a CAI, Header, exhaust put into the car. But I have always experienced a "popping" or backfire in the exhaust...I was told that Subarus are renouned for the "pop" like the Porche's...can anyone confirm that? I mentioned this to the guys at SPO and they also told me that's normal...? It only does it when you let off the throttle then press on it again...HEEEEEEEEEELP....is this normal? or is there something wrong with the car?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Completely normal. Heck I could hear mine before I put an exhaust on. It is the extra gas hitting the exhaust manifold that you hear.

Mine is normally when I left off throttle after I mash it though.

Buster

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey spinall4,
Make sure that your popping sound is coming out of you tail pipe and not under the car. If its under your car, make sure that all your bolts are on tight. Good luck:biggest:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks alot guys I really appreciate the feedback. I am now at ease with myself....whew, thought there was something wrong with the car. Thanks again members.

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
man....it pops all the time, it's getting annoying, and it don't help that my friends yell "POP!" everytime they hear it...is there a way to stop it?? =/ :curse:

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Dude, the popping sound is so sweet, it's what make it a Subaru.

I'm guessing here;>> I'm not sure there are any electronics that will allow you to adjust lift-throttle fuel which is the source of the poppng. I'm thinking if you are able to reduce the fuel ratio there will be less to no leftover fuel to ignite (popping) in the exhaust piping. Be careful, It's a tricky balance if you lean it out too much you'll damage the engine.

Contact a few of the established Subaru tuners to see if there is a solution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what kind of exhaust system is it?? I have the greddy evolution in mine and the popping sound is very minor or none at all... :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah, heck I finally got used to it, now it doesn't bother me anymore. Sides, I'm working on trying to get my Impreza to shoot flames from the tail pipe. I'm working on trying to ignite the left over fuel in the tail pipe like they did on the fast and the furious...wouldn't it just be fun.....ahahah :) just wait and see if I can get this to work.!

Ha, PIG eat my flames!!:flame:

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
Actually my friends say "putt putt" everytime it pops. And that gets annoying. damn kids

Little pops aren't exactly a show of power either(well...thats what I Think), id rather do without em.... =/

spinall i think this product is for you =)
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182941

but ur walking the fine line of rice =D, personally I wouldn't mind scaring some tailgaters with a fresh flame in their face though...:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ever listened to a $250,000 WRC car? I like like the fact that my car sounds like that.

*edit*
Actually, I think the WRC cars cost more, but if those high-performance, carefully tuned motors still "pop" then I don't think it is a sign of lower performance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i've a scooby sport axle back for about a month, one of the main reasons i got was b/c of the cool sound, especially the "POP":biggest:

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
That POP sound, or "afterfire" as some call it, is completely normal on Subarus. Stock EJ25 engines will do it too, like my friend's new outback sport. My mechanic told me it's the sound of unburnt fuel hitting the catalytic converter and igniting. This means your car is running a little rich (all EJ25's do, especially the 2000 and newer models with MAP sensors), which is much better than running a little lean (ping ping ping = detonation = bye bye engine). Exhaust mods like headers, cats, & free-flow mufflers will make it louder. Supposedly if you run catless it might shoot flames out the muffler, but I don't recommend trying this.

If the sound bothers you, you can learn to avoid the afterfire by being more smooth with the throttle. Give it just a little gas at first and smoothly (not necessarily slowly, but smoothly) increase pressure on the gas pedal. Same thing goes for releasing the gas pedal, don't just jump off; smoothly let it out.

-scott-

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I think you'll find it more when you're coasting/decellerating with zero throttle input then open the throttle. The fuel map adds a punch of fuel to "pre-charge" the cylinders and pull more air into the engine as you tip the pedal to accelerate.

It's not really harmful, it adds character to the car.

I think a careful ECU tweak would be needed to get rid of the trait. I'm not sure a general leaning of the system would do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that it adds total character to the car. I noticed the "pop" and "gurgling" even with my stock muffler... but after I replaced it with a Stromung dual tip, it became much more pronounced. The sound makes me feel like i'm in a wannabe WRC car :)

·
Registered
2013 SCION FRS WHITEOUT
638 Posts
the pop is perfectly normal. my car does it a lot, and after i shift i do hit the throttle a little hard. i have the apex n1 115mm tip exhuast system. the exhaust is loud as hell and then i have this loud @$$ gun fire like pop. its very cool and all but very uncool with the popo. so i stuck the super silencer on. and it still pops but u cant hear it as much. vrrrrrooooooooooorrrrrr POP! wrrrrooooooooooorrrrr POP!. too bad im so paranoid with the cops. i'd hate to drive next to a cop popping. he'd get angry and ticket happy.

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
AzN STi IMPREZA said:
too bad im so paranoid with the cops. i'd hate to drive next to a cop popping. he'd get angry and ticket happy.
yea, that's why i shift at like 2k whenever im around cops :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts