Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started a couple weeks ago. When cruising in fifth if I suddenly brake or quickly release the gas it'll just slip right out. No noises, no clunks, I don't even feel it. It just slips into neutral and I'll usually only notice when I push the gas and realize I'm not going anywhere and my engine is revving. I don't have problems with any other gears and I changed my transmission fluid just last year and haven't had problems. Any ideas? Is my transmission crapping out on me? Is it time for a 6 speed? lol

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
sounds like the synchros are going bad. Pretty much means time for a rebuild. You can change to some different fluids, but that's just masking the problem and it will always come back.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Dont rule out synchro right away guys.
I bet its the shift linkage, mine did the same thing.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of the shift linkage? Are you talking about the part that gives you side to side slop? Cause I have plenty of that. It stays in gear but when I'm on the gas you can see the shifter start to pull back. If I release the gas gently it just moves back up, but if I drop the pedal or brake hard in fifth it'll come right out.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
The gears are actually slightly tapered too, so when they get worn out it will also do exactly what your explaining..

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darn, well I guess it's not a simple fix then. Hopefully I can keep it going until swap time (hopefully in the spring of 09')

·
Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,202 Posts
"PINION NUT BACKED OFF--LOOSE--CAUSING 5TH GEAR TO NOT LINE UP"

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13173&highlight=5th+pop+gear

"the shaft nut might have backed off."

more importantly: "Dont hold it in with your hand."

"Most likely the nut on the end of the input shaft is loose. They're about $18 each. You'll only need one."

Directions: "The main shaft nut. I just fixed one at work. Drop exhaust, shaft, tranny crossmember, undo the linkage, pull the rear housing off with the transfer clutch pack, then the next housing and you'll see the nut. Use a new nut so you can re-steak it in the correct postion. 89ft/lbs I think."

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53496&highlight=5th+pop+gear

and another person with same problem:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35256&highlight=5th+pop+gear

·
Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,202 Posts
Have any pics or diagrams that I can locate this nut with?
i might if i can find the pdf mechanical guide i have at home...sure somebody around here could throw you something...or just buy a book :)

its a pretty common issue around 100k though. id put my money on it...sisters dealing with the same thing right now...

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry for hijacking but after you get to the mainshaft nut how hard is it you replace the mainshaft backing plate??

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, I'm finally going to be doing this this weekend. Does anybody know the part numbers for the nut and the gasket I'll be needing to replace?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts