Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I noticed a strange noise today when i was driving. SOmething underneath the front seems to pop whenever I turn the wheel to the right when im gradually moving. It does not do it when the car is stopped. Im pretty sure it does not do it to the left either. Only to the right. Any ideas on what it could be. My axle boot has been ripped for a while now but I dont see why that would be it. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
CV shaft bit the shit. Replace it :-D they make popping sounds when they're going bad usually is the right one to go first I don't know why lol same thing happened with mine

Dave

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have 2 new axles i just have not replaced them yet. but will that solve the problem you think?

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
If done properly yes. Its definately better to replace both than one at a time. I replaced the passenger side and then the driver side started clicking/popping, now they all do.

·
Registered
99 rs w/ EJ205
982 Posts
check ur sway bar and tie rod ends...

if ur sway bar is loose, when the car shifts its weight, the slack between the bolt and the mount will make a noise...

or if the bushings in ur tie rod ends are worn there will be the same slack that will "clunk, pop,w/e" when u turn the wheel either way

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do me a favor go to an empty parking lot. Stop the car, turn the wheel all the way to the left adn backup very fast. I fyou don't hear a pop by the time you're 90 degrees opposite the way you were, stop the car, and turn the weehl the other way and repeat. If its a Front CV joint, it will make pop noise. Another thing you can do, but most peopel get too messy with it, is get a cup of water and watch the surface tension when it makes your sound. If the water is totally disturbed, its a cv, if the water seems liek its rushing to oen side of the cup, its somethign else.

The fact the boot on an axle was ripped, means dirt gets in, jsut liek road grime gets on the bottom of a k-member, or your transmission, etc. You need to look at a cv like its a giant ball bearing setup that isnt' fixed. if dirt gets in and hits the sheilds that hold the bearings in place, it can create a flat spot on the cup's sufrace or on the ball bearings themselves. That's what is making the popping noise you hear.

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
If the boot rips, give it a couple months and it will go. You can replace the boot, but it requires taking off the cv joint the same as you would if you replaced it. And you would have to had caught it right away. I replaced a boot on my 93 legacy and the cv joint lasted for a long time afterwards.

·
Registered
99 RS RBP
436 Posts
Similar thing just happened to my rear left CV Boot/Joint. I did't hear any popping though and I didn't even know about it untill we were putting my exhaust on. Next thing I know im in the shop getting a rear axle and boot. Not only that, we found out I had a head gasket leak too, so it was a bitter sweet moment with the exhaust.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I keep ripping my boots. Does anybody have any idea why that would happen? I replaced both front axles about 2 months ago, and they ripped again...

Would a bent control arm cause it to keep ripping? Or is it just my driving, lol?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i will probably change out the axles this weekend or the next. i will also try the reverse idea.

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts