Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay purchased my first subaru (95 impreza L, 2.2 A/T, awd). The problem I am having is that the car makes a popping sound during slow turns and during acceleration and deceleration. During the first 5 minutes or so the car drives fine (until it warms up). Wheel bearings are fine and the cv shafts are fine. If the car is in neutral and I turn at the same slow speeds it doesn't make the noise so I feel the differential is also fine. So my question is would there be a bad sensor causing this binding feeling? I've googled a bit but haven't found a straight answer. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5RS
277 Posts
Where is the noise coming from?

Do you have any CELs?

Is the exhaust on the car stock? Mine pops on accel/decel because my exhaust is clear from header back to muffler, no cat or resonator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exhaust is stock and no check engine light. It sounds like the gears are binding up in the rear differential.... Car runs great but the popping I'm speaking of is definitely a drivetrain noise

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
check the little carrier bushing in the middle of driveshaft. when its loose it likes to make random noises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires are all the same size... When I was under the car I spun the drive shaft by hand and there was no play in it. Also there was no resistance in the rear differential which leaves me to believe my problem is somewhere in or on (speed sensor or ?) the transmission. Really appreciate the quick responses too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
so i had a strange noise a week back or so, but and it was the weirdest sound and comes from the front right where the wheel is. it turned out to just be a flap that came loose and started hitting the wheel during turns. Check under your car and see if theres not a flap that has fallen off from a worn out bolt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my problem was indeed torque bind. Drained out the old ATF and filled with some new and every thing seems good now. If the problem re appears a new duty C will be the next fix but fingers crossed that wont be the case

1 - 9 of 9 Posts