Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a STOCK 1999 Impreza OBS 4eat EJ222 that has a pending CEL of PO440 - it just passed inspection on its own as the CEL was not on & it takes a little while for the pending code to show up on a scanner
BUT
IT smells of raw fuel inside....

I checked for Gasoline leaks under the hood - None
I checked for charcoal canister damage - it is still in one piece no cracks + hoses seem pretty tight.

I was thinking the purge solenoid under the intake manifold may be bad but am not sure if this will cure the problem.

Any idea on whats wrong????

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
I had the same code, it turned out to be the gasket which seals off the fuel pump assembly.

Do you have pressure in your fuel tank? If you have access to a scan tool, drive around and check it out.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
Hmm, if you have zero fuel tank pressure, that would mean a line near the tank.

I wouldn't take the no gasping of air upon removal of fuel cap as a definitive answer.

Do you have the ability to monitor engine parameters in any way?

·
Registered
99 OBS
442 Posts
dunno if you fixed this, but i have the same problem right now. it ended up being the fuel filler neck. had to replace everything, ended up being $220+shipping for parts from subaruparts.com i was wondering how i dropped from 300miles per tank to 150

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.