Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1996 GC Black
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I finally had time to go to the Auto parts store. The Code came back [ P0106 generic manifold absolute pressure/baro sensor range/performance] I was told it was my MAP sensor causing the Error..but Im not sure whats wrong with it, does MAF section on the intake orientation matter? Like if its pointing up,down, to the left? Again the check engine light came on right after I installed the stock intake...all I did was paint the pipe black and put the filter adapter on. Any ideas ? I was told a new sensor would be $300.00 :( which I really dont want to buy

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
Your MAF sensor probably got dirty while you had it off. Clean it and have the code reset. If it comes back then you will need a new one. It could be a leak in the intake somewhere but it doesn't sound like that.

I have heard of using starting fluid to check for leaks by spraying a bit around the connections. If the engine revs up a bit you have a leak.

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
What Do you clean s Sensor with?..Just water or..? And does disconnected the battery reset the codes?
NOOOOOO!

There is a special aerosol spray you can get at the parts store, it's specifically for MAF sensors. It will dry clean, meaning that it won't leave residue that could affect MAF readings. Cost is ~$5-6 and it will last quite a while.

Yes, disconnect the negative terminal at the battery and wait ~15 mins and/or step on the brake pedal to drain residual electricity.

And I find it odd that you would have MAP codes when your engine is clearly MAF based...

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Might be a hose off the map sensor, I've had that code from forgetting to run a vac line to it. I don't think it causes performance issues though, especially on a MAF based car.

·
Registered
1996 GC Black
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOOOOOO!

There is a special aerosol spray you can get at the parts store, it's specifically for MAF sensors. It will dry clean, meaning that it won't leave residue that could affect MAF readings. Cost is ~$5-6 and it will last quite a while.

Yes, disconnect the negative terminal at the battery and wait ~15 mins and/or step on the brake pedal to drain residual electricity.

And I find it odd that you would have MAP codes when your engine is clearly MAF based...
Ok cool I will give that a shot..thanks
The MAF is inside the the intake tube...YEs I know MAP is not on my EJ22..That is just what came up on the diagnostic machine at the part store

·
Registered
1996 GC Black
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might be a hose off the map sensor, I've had that code from forgetting to run a vac line to it. I don't think it causes performance issues though, especially on a MAF based car.
Yea the 1st thing I did was check all the hose's but they were all on and tight! Its weird though I honestly had the MAF off resting on my engine not near any dirt (car was in the garage with the garage door shut) Im dumbfounded how it got dirty..

·
Registered
1996 GC Black
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the Orientation of the MAF on the Intake would have nothing to do with this error code??? Everyone thinks its just Dirt??? And I have school this week/ super busy...will driving my car error/MAF sensor harm anything ????

·
Registered
1996 GC Black
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I bought the cleaner, cleaned the sensor re-set my battery and after 5 miles the "check engine light" came on. Ive noticed at idle when Im stopped the engine will randomly drop rpms and hiccup, after the hiccup engine continues to run normal..it will repeat this while stopped. Today was a cold morning around 23 degrees, when I started my car I noticed a clicking noise at idle loud enough to hear over my exhaust/windows closed. The click at idle is slow like click.......click.....click! When I accelerate the click also accelerates to a click.click.click/ gets louder. I thought it was a belt but the sounds seems to be coming from the intake manifold or near there. Any Ideas?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.