Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July 2002 Sports Car, pg. F-148, under "TOURING":

" In order to keep pace with the evolving technology of performance cars available to our membership and to respond to numerous requests to include popular street cars in Club Racing, the Competition Board is seeking input from our membership on allowing AWD and forced induction cars to be classified in Touring with competition adjustments as necessary. We see no rule change as being necessary since current Touring rules do not prevent classification of forced induction engines or AWD cars."

Ok guys, here's our chance to be heard. If you have any desire to do Club Racing under the umbrella of the SCCA, this is your chance to get all the Subarus classed as they should have been years ago. I do, and up to now, I was quite upset that I could not do any SCCA Club Racing with my GC8 because the SCCA has never classed it (or any Subaru...).

I have no idea on what the Competition Board considers "input" or what form it needs to be in. Could somebody help me understand what to do and where to send the comments to?

Thanks!

- Steve

Mods: I think this is sticky material.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'm pretty sure that quote refers to the Speed Channel series only. They allow forced induction and AWD cars because the weights are adjusted accordingly across the board.

The weight penalty in "ordinary" club classes was so outrageous that it effectively made the Audi's uncompetitive after a brief period of success in club racing. I can't remember reading anything specific about Subaru's in club racing.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'm pretty sure that quote refers to the Speed Channel series only.
speed channel series is definetly NOT club racing. club racing is amatuer racing and almost nobody is sponsored. its basically the next step up from pro-solo.

i think the awd is a good idea, but as soon as you allow turbos, the shit hits the fan. there is absolutely no way to regulate it, which is why they havn't been allowed. look at F1. look at CART. look at the WRC. even when they put in the 32mm restrictors, it was supposed to limit the cars to ~300bhp. they're makeing considerably more than that now. i don't really think amatuer racers really need to be running around with lots of boost. i think its a problem waiting to happen.

In order to keep pace with the evolving technology of performance cars available to our membership and to respond to numerous requests to include popular street cars in Club Racing
oh, one more thing. this is BS. its more like subaru has been driving truck loads of money up to Mr. Johnson (and been giving our memberships) and wants to have their cars raced so that more people will buy them. please note, i'm not saying this is a bad thing, but the SCCA wouldn't allow all this in just on a couple of WRX owners bitching ;)

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS
174 Posts
Next year, the 98 RS will be eligble for IT (Improved Touring) class. Cars must be 5 years old to qualify for IT. I am not sure which IT class that will be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts