Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
07 impreza
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I m about to redo my clutch on a 07 Subaru impreza 2.5i.....I went to auto zone to get the haynes book but all they have is one for legacy and forester the guy said it will work that they are all the same engine.....I cant seem to find a book for the impreza....I am a female with some car know how but I never did a clutch before and I really need a good instruction manual to help me through it....can anyone give me any ideas on what to do or where to get a impreza book from?

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
You can get your self the service manual but they really are the same(impreza vs forester/leggy)

·
Registered
98 2.5RS, GT30R, Haltech E1000
1,254 Posts
look for the DIY on nasioc. Its much better than that haynes manual.

Also, its really straight forward.

Get car up in the air
drop exhaust
punch half shaft pins out, disconnect half shafts
drop your driveshaft
get a bottle or other jack under the ENGINE (not tranny)
disconnect all wiring attached to the tranny up top
disconnect dogbone
Now you should have pretty much everything disconnected besides the actually engine to transmission bolts.
Get your tranny jack ready under the transmission. Go ahead and pull all the bell housing bolts out. Punch the pins out. and you should be free.
slowly lower transmission down.

Remove old clutch
remove flywheel, get it resurfaced or install new flywheel
make sure you use Threadlocker on ALL your bolts before you reinstall

install is the opposite of removal :)

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Brighton
491 Posts
The Legacy/Forester book should work for *most* jobs (clutch should be fine).

Alternatively, you could remove the engine instead of the transmission to get to it (if you have access to an engine hoist instead of a transmission jack) but disposing of coolant sucks. If you can't get the car very high off the ground or have anything you need to do to the engine, this may be the way to go.

IMO, threadlocker would do more harm than good; getting it off at some point in the future would suck. I've installed a flywheel about a dozen times, never used threadlocker, and never had a problem. The factory didn't use threadlocker either.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
This thread should be moved to "Transmissions and Drivetrains" not the DIY forum. There is too many threads like this that people have to weed thru to find actual DIY threads. This is a question, not a DIY. Plus you will probably find more help if you post it in the right place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts