Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking for a while now, i need a car, and i need a fast car with good response. Also, i dont have a lot of cash until i start getting paid from my job. So im just cruisin through the net and come upon a clean SVX H6 for a few hundred bucks. I figure, its about 230hp stock, thats a good start. Maybe some decent mods, i know theres not much support for the 6cyl's but i dont need to go crazy, and if its not enough, i can always go turbo if i wish. But back to the point, what is everyones opinions on a H6 swap? Im not turboing the H6,and i dont think the perrin H6 lasted long if i remember correctly... I just want a light quick car for the mountains, we have some sweet roads around here and thats what im into. I just want to hear everyones ideas, i did search and the only real usable info is WhiteGhost2.5's thread with the wombat, lol.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54307&highlight=H6+impreza

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
Dont compare a EG33 to a EZ30.

The EG33 is more like a EJ22. It has the same bore pitch as a 2.2. Same wall thickness. You can get pistons made to fit the EG33 from a ej22 without much trouble but they arent a direct fit. The EG33 has held more than 400hp in stock form and had long lives. Though this is FI not NA.

The EZ30 is a poor motor to turbo from the start. The 3.0 has a smaller bore pitch and has less sealing material. Not to mention the wall thickness between cylinders is less. Though if you are going NA this is a good solid motor to start with. It has AVCS and AVLS. I think it even has a dual runner manifold. Lots of neat stuff.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using the EG33, not the EZ, im going for moderate performance, within budget while trying to maintain decent reliability. The EZ30 is a pos, lol. Hows the bottom end on the EG33? Boostable? Cause that would be a major plus... I need a car still, if anyone has a decent L or RS, let me know, [email protected]

·
Registered
2001 RS Emerald Green Racekor
1,454 Posts
The H6 in a light Impreza is a very nasty lil creation.Torque on demand is very nice. There are some issues to work out with this install and it is not an easy project thats for sure.

Josh

·
Registered
171 Posts
they sound pretty cool with nothing more than a catback IMO. definitely sound good for a n/a 6 cylinder....the unequal length would be pretty nasty though

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got another paycheck today, i might do this. Even if i dont get to it till im out in ohio, i think im still pretty sure i can do it, im real good at fabbing up stuff.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
im considering going this route soon too....but i dunno....if i do i will most like put a pretty big turbo on it and go for high power....

the aftermarket is just soo much better for the ej257....

there would be a lot a fabrication....

the eg33 is open deck correct?

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
The EG33 is more like a EJ22. It has the same bore pitch as a 2.2. Same wall thickness. You can get pistons made to fit the EG33 from a ej22 without much trouble but they arent a direct fit. The EG33 has held more than 400hp in stock form and had long lives. Though this is FI not NA.
what exactly do you need to do to make the ej22 pistons fit the eg33?.....do you know if you could use ej22 dartons on the eg33?

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinking a mild turbo as well. All it needs is some EM, exhaust and IC piping and fab, and some little mounting work. Not that bad, i might stay NA for a bit though. Im still researching it so...

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
what exactly do you need to do to make the ej22 pistons fit the eg33?.....do you know if you could use ej22 dartons on the eg33?
Wish I could remember exactly. It might be the wrist pin location. The EG33 runs a very close squelch something like .035" stock.

Someone makes pistons though. As for sleeve that wouldnt matter. You would have to bore the block anyway so just order from them the size sleeve you can make work.

Yes the deck is open but has proved to be a problem from anyone yet.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Wish I could remember exactly. It might be the wrist pin location. The EG33 runs a very close squelch something like .035" stock.

Someone makes pistons though. As for sleeve that wouldnt matter. You would have to bore the block anyway so just order from them the size sleeve you can make work.

Yes the deck is open but has proved to be a problem from anyone yet.
i assume you meant hasn't.....

hmmm...sleeved eg33...sounds like a nice build....more power with less boost.....if i can ever get my life sorted out enough to get my project car going i think this is whats going to happen :).....sleeved eg33 with forged internals, some head work and turbonetics gt-k 850 :).....

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
Ive been thinking for a while now, i need a car, and i need a fast car with good response. Also, i dont have a lot of cash until i start getting paid from my job. So im just cruisin through the net and come upon a clean SVX H6 for a few hundred bucks. I figure, its about 230hp stock, thats a good start. Maybe some decent mods, i know theres not much support for the 6cyl's but i dont need to go crazy, and if its not enough, i can always go turbo if i wish. But back to the point, what is everyones opinions on a H6 swap? Im not turboing the H6,and i dont think the perrin H6 lasted long if i remember correctly... I just want a light quick car for the mountains, we have some sweet roads around here and thats what im into. I just want to hear everyones ideas, i did search and the only real usable info is WhiteGhost2.5's thread with the wombat, lol.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54307&highlight=H6+impreza

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!:banana:
What was the deal with the perrin H6 turbo, you say it didn't last long. Did it blow? What block were they using. I remember seeing a short vid back-in-the-day but have always been curious what happened to that.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
i assume you meant hasn't.....

hmmm...sleeved eg33...sounds like a nice build....more power with less boost.....if i can ever get my life sorted out enough to get my project car going i think this is whats going to happen :).....sleeved eg33 with forged internals, some head work and turbonetics gt-k 850 :).....
Yah meant hasnt.

There are a few WRXs that have only put pistons and rods in and make 600-700whp and dont have head gasket issues or cylinder liners breaking. Just look at the EJ25D. The EG33 has the same block strength and skully made 600Whp on a stock block 25d. So you have a motor that is 30% larger with more cylinder therefor alot less pressure and stress per jug.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its all math... I just got my car yesterday, i still want to go through with this. Either get exhaust and some odds and ends for the 2.5, or bite the bullet and get the 3.3 for $550... Im thinking the motor, then later if i wish to turbo, i can. I think the 3.3 with some goodies on it will spank just about anything thats around here. Except my Mark VIII, lol. What do you guys think?

PUT CASH INTO THE 2.5 or QUIT BITCHIN AND GET THE 3.3!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
So the Perrin H6 STI died?? Was it because of too much boost? That thing was a beast. Sothe EZ30 swap is no good??? I've been considering this swap... :blowingup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts