Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I've never seen pillow ball tie rod ends or upgraded tie rods for any Subaru? The only place I've ever come across that replaces these to upraded ones is the subaruwrcspares.com website and that's only because they are selling parts from REAL race cars. I mean seriously, this is a very important piece and I see almost no aftermarket support for the Subarus yet almost every other good sports car has some type of replacement. Whiteline has that overprice "roll center" kit that replaces the tie rod ends but thats not quite what I'm looking for. Input please! Maybe someone can tap into this open market for us all.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,279 Posts
Don't knock whiteline's kit... it's a lot more than just rod ends...the ball joint extention is very very worth the $$. The ability to run lowered AND maintain reasonable suspension geometry, and then the addition of the modified tie rod end to get rid of the bump steer associated with lowering is a very great thing.

One of the main reasons the subie tie rods don't get changed is that they really don't need it. The only real reason to upgrade is if you lower the car and need different rod ends to eliminate the bump steer. I don't ever hear of subies breaking rod ends, the only case I knew of was with a prototype 6gun racing part that Phil from Element Tuning was testing on track. It failed and Phil went off-track at speed.

If you really want to swap yours for heim joints, go ahead:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/105_Rod-Ends-Heim-Joints-Sleeves.html?page=1

-- Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
aren't the stock tie rod ends already ball joint type.. I don't see how switching these out could make any difference. fwiw i have the whiteline kit and i think it gave me more bumpsteer.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,279 Posts
fwiw i have the whiteline kit and i think it gave me more bumpsteer.
Are you lowered at all?

If you add the whiteline kit w/o lowering, it will give you bumpsteer...

-- Dave

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
It's not just for strength but also more direct steering feel. The rack on the RS isn't very impressive to begin with.
The stock tie rods already use metal ball joints, how much more "direct" do you need it? If you want better "feel" get some urethane rack mounts, that will be very noticeable.

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
I concur with 2slo4u.

The other reason that heim style joints are not widely used in street cars is besides being expensive they can wear rather quickly. Not a big deal for a race car, but a PITA for a street car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.