Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 2.2 AWD legacy that a fella is selling for cheap. Some issues with it but I mainly need it for parts (converting my Impreza FWD to a AWD). From what he says he bought it off of ebay and the seller wasn't real honest with him about the sell. So he's basically just getting rid of it.

Question is, is there anything to be concerned about if I do decide to pick up? Should I pick it up? Thanks!

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
You should be able to file for a lost title (or the guy selling it that is). Hopefully it wasn't stolen.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Carfax it. That'll tell you if its reported stolen or not. If you buy stolen property and you get caught, you can get into trouble and the car will most likely be impounded.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Don't touch it. I've been involved with a stolen car once, accidentally, and the cops respond with guns drawn and they take you to jail. The headache is UNBELIEVABLE.

It's TOTALLY not worth it. TOTALLY.

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yikes, I can only imagine what crap I'd be in if it was stolen.

Even if I carfax it and everything checks out, is there still the slightest possibility? Or am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yikes, I can only imagine what crap I'd be in if it was stolen.

Even if I carfax it and everything checks out, is there still the slightest possibility? Or am I being paranoid?
put it this way if you car fax it and save that as proof it was cleared. if for what ever reason they arrest you. you become a rich man if you understand me.

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
put it this way if you car fax it and save that as proof it was cleared. if for what ever reason they arrest you. you become a rich man if you understand me.
yah, sounds good. I'll certainly do that if I do go through with buying it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
carfax is to ensure you of any doubts you may have as far as stolen cars, specific damage other than just salvage, and or accidents. if they mess up on that there skrewd.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Make sure you have a signed, legal (i.e. "real", not hand-written) bill of sale with ALL his info, and a copy of his license.

·
Premium Member
98 RS turbo
232 Posts
Don't go trusting CARFAX too much. they will only list a cars accident repair history if it is run through the insurance company. So technically, if you would wreck your car (to the point of being a total loss) and you never contact your insurer, you could just pay the bodyshop cash to fix it and it will never show on carfax! BIG Loophole. look before you buy, and know what your looking at.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Don't do it!

Liens, reported stolen, back registration...the list of potential hazards is long.

But if you do it, you could potentially get a bargain. Just be sure to COVER YOUR ASS with legal documentation. Like pay the extra $20 and take the guy with you to get the contract/bill of sale notarized. Guys like the one you're buying from have a tendency to not answer their phones or disappear altogether after they get your $$$. CYA.

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but dang, it's only 3 bills. He's asking for 5 but said he'll take 3.

And as for the car, I was gonna cut it up and use the metal for my locost project. ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
DO EEEET, but do alittle covering of your ass, might be alittle extra hassle, and hopefully its useless, but ya never know.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
here is what you need to do. get the vin# and license plate #. call that states department of motor vehicles and find out the truth about it. could be many things. they will also tell you what exactly you need to do to get the legal title for the car. they can also tell you what the back registration/tags will cost.

thats what i had to do for a ae86 i ended up buying.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
DO EEEET, but do alittle covering of your ass, might be alittle extra hassle, and hopefully its useless, but ya never know.....
+1

here is what you need to do. get the vin# and license plate #. call that states department of motor vehicles and find out the truth about it. could be many things. they will also tell you what exactly you need to do to get the legal title for the car. they can also tell you what the back registration/tags will cost.

thats what i had to do for a ae86 i ended up buying.
+2

3 bills? Might as well go for it but CYA.

Are you serious about the Locost? If you're building one of those, fuck it, buy it.

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you serious about the Locost? If you're building one of those, fuck it, buy it.

yah, been thinking about it for a while now. I REALLY wanna do it. I'm GONNA DO IT!!! I just have to find a good deal on a good welder first.... oh, and I need some space too. But if space is an issue when time comes, I'll just have to build it at my mom's place that's ~150 mi from me. :( Sucks, but with my work schedule, it should work out okay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts