Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5 RS Blue
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so at work i seem to have been doing multiple engine swaps and rebuilds and driving home looking at my odometer... i think its time to do something for myself.

Just from skimming threads ive picked up that it is nearly impossible to turbo a 98 impreza because phase 1 is not very friendly when it comes to that stuff... considered sti swap then took into account the amount of time my car would be off the road and money invested and its just not the time in my life to take that gamble... so ive decided just to rebuild my car. engine, trans and all the worn down components and maybe a newer interior....

considering phase 1 is tough to please, can i run higher compression in my 2.5DOHC and be able to run normally? how tough would it be to tune?

ive also been looking for a parts list for a rebuild so i can get all the parts through work and have them all in my possession before i yank my engine.

i would plan on shaving heads, delta cams, higher compression pistions and whatever else would be worth throwing in while i can (if possible) if not possible, ill just do a normal rebuild and learn to be satisfied with it.

just need a few questions answered before i start getting my parts. Thank you very much

oh and also... what kind of wiring work would it take to put an 06 wrx dash into a 98 impreza? and have it funtion (that always helps :) )

Any input is greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
Grab yourself an EJ22 block and rebuild it, you could go nuts and swap your EJ25D crank and rods in and use the OTS Wiseco's or JE's for the EJ22 stroker motor. With the EJ22 under your EJ25D heads you go from 9.7:1 CR to 8.9:1, done deal.

It won't win any bragging rights wars, but people have thrown more than 14psi at this motor.

~Josh~

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
youre going to need a decent tune. and i'd suggest replacing your bearings in the engine. just to make sure. i rebuilt one of my ej25d's, got it in the car...and the next day it spun a bearing.

as far as reliability, i'm about 30K into a rebuild. and i don't have any issues other than ones that i caused from being lazy :read: valve tap.

last but most definitely not least..when doing the steps for head tightening, READ THEM ALL. DO THEM ALL. i missed the last page of torque specs when i did my 2nd rebuild, which then made me have to do a third. :bonk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.