Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Journal for my imported 1993 Impreza WRX (12/92 build).

Goal for this car has been to build an OEM+, "period correct", GrA style car with only authentic parts if possible.

I bought my car at auction in Japan in June 2017. I've been importing parts for a couple years so I had the necessary connections to do the work myself for the most part. The car landed in December 2017, complete with a number of issues I was fully expecting:
1. A number of paint issues
2. An idle issue and hesitation
3. Seriously bad tires

I quickly found the issue with the idle and hesitation was an unplugged MAF, and the tires were swapped out with a set of wheels/tires I had waiting for the car when it arrived.

[I'll try and come back and add more story but for now I'm going to skip to the mod list and photos]

Modifications:
HKS Intake
HKS EVC
HKS BOV
Subaru 4 pot front brakes (calipers, rotors, ss lines)
Bilstein coilovers
Tecnomagnesio 201b 17x7+52 magnesium alloy wheels
l'Aunsport P555 WRC exhaust
Subaru OEM optional aero mirrors
STi Pink link set

Auction pics:

Headed to the port:

With my son, collecting the car from the port in Tacoma, WA:

First light autocrossing:

Photoshoot in the mountains:

Did some night shots before the Alaskan Way Viaduct was shut down in Seattle:

More to come soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
That looks great! I'm super jealous of the tiger stripes. Planning to do auto-x this season? I did one up in BC last year, but never went to any in the WA area.

·
Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got some photos back from Dan Piker so I thought I'd share them here.

·
Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks great! I'm super jealous of the tiger stripes. Planning to do auto-x this season? I did one up in BC last year, but never went to any in the WA area.
I probably won't, if I'm honest. I've never really gotten into autox, and I find it too much of a commitment for my current lifestyle. I've thought about trying to get it out to a track day or something but I always end up just going for drives and enjoying it that way instead. I don't really need to push it too hard to enjoy it, and I find that back roads can be a ton of fun without being too risky.

I do love the tiger stripes, they're awesome.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
I know what you mean. It was a pain to get up to auto-x and I even had a friend who lives close that I could stay with. I am not a "morning person." heh.

I was mainly just thinking it'd be fun to meet up with some of the other WA folks on here.

·
Registered
2001 BDP RS Sedan
121 Posts
An inspiration to us all to stick to the simple and clean route while executing that with fantastic parts. Love it.

·
Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a number of months ago I was looking through the Subaru Impreza Tuning Bible and ran across a tutorial for installing an ARC EJ20G intercooler. I'd never seen one before, didn't even know the part existed, and owning an early WRX I knew I needed it. I searched for a couple months and found one in Malaysia.

As you can see, it wasn't in the most original condition possible. I decided that since I'd never seen one before that I wasn't going to let this one pass me by, so I bought it as is. I got it here and had it stripped to remove all the paint. We also pulled off the foil tape holding on some hugely beneficial (/sarcasm) air purifiers or something.

With the help of a couple buddies I was able to create an adhesive stencil for the logo that was pretty damn close to accurate size-wise, even though the one in the magazine had a slightly different logo than what is on the tag on the IC.

Yesterday I finally masked it all off, sprayed it, and mocked it up in the car. I'm still working on finding the green IC couplers but I'm super happy with how it turned out!

Here's a photo comparison of the magazine vs mine:

Magazine:

Mine:

·
Registered
96 Impreza, 03 WRX
15 Posts
Might just be me but none of your pics are showing up. Would love to see it lol, period correct builds are the best

·
Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might just be me but none of your pics are showing up. Would love to see it lol, period correct builds are the best
I don't see them in the first post either, but I promise, they were there at one point. I'll see if I can't fix that.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
If you try to navigate the the image URLs in the first post directly, you get "URL signature expired". I bet FB periodically expires those to keep people from posting them on forums and other non-FB sites. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts