Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to the subaru world and for some reason I'm having trouble searching performance companies... Alls I get is random used parts and clips of exhaust systems, ect... So i would like to know all the companies I can go with for my 99' legacy outback... Would like to get I/H/E! Also wondering the difference between uel and el? More tq from one or HP from the other....?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
You will have a very difficult time finding car specific items. Wasn't a car bought my people intending to mod so the aftermarket isn't exactly warm to it

Some items will work from the Impreza, some will need customization or fabrication to translate to your model

Tons of threads on headers btw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My motor is a phase 1, so if i were to get a header for the 99' 2.5 rs would that work for my motor and then do some kinda custom catback... Would a certain axle back fit on and then I can just do the custom cat...? So in your opinion what header company would you recommend thats not big money but will hold up? O what is the difference with uel and el headers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also wondering do the heads from the rs swap on my motor? Would they be better or not really a difference or maybe the wrx heads which i was told they can but the gains wouldn't be huge or anything... I understand that I'm not gonna really see any big numbers with any of these mods but I have to replace the catback anyways so I wanna get a little more power out of it and I might just tinker with the other stuff especially if I can get it cheap!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can thoughs heads be swapped around.... The rs heads or the wrx heads?? For better performance... I can get them pretty cheap so what ever one are better... I actaully found a high flow catback system so I'm set for that... So I just need to find a header and maybe do the heads depending what's better.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
O what intake should I get in your opinion??? Do the intakes hook up the same with any IM cause if I get the heads from either a rs or wrx the IM's bolt up different so I'm not sure if they would be a different hook up for the intake
i think you should save your money and spend it on your children. any aftermarket cold air intake you buy for your 99 legacy will not result in ANY noticeable power increases. maybe 1-2 hp AT BEST. it's a waste of money.

wanna make power of an EJ series engine? you have to turbo it.

headers, intake, cams, reflash whatever......ALL total wastes of money. ESPECIALLY for a daily driven car with children in it. totally pointless.

and i'm saying this in the most non aggressive non assholish tone as possible.

you will love your car ten times more with a slight drop and some stiffer springs and struts and a new sway bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I wouldnt be getting springs or rims I'm not road racing it... And since I have to replace the catback I'm just doin a little more to get just that little extra edge out of it... As far as the heads go I'm more or less just learning what can be swapped around and stuff... I like to learn these things whether or not I actually do it... I'm very involved in the Honda world and with the b-series motors many oem parts like heads and IM can be swapped around for better performance so I'm just trying to learn what can be swapped around with these ej motors...

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
Well I wouldnt be getting springs or rims I'm not road racing it... And since I have to replace the catback I'm just doin a little more to get just that little extra edge out of it... As far as the heads go I'm more or less just learning what can be swapped around and stuff... I like to learn these things whether or not I actually do it... I'm very involved in the Honda world and with the b-series motors many oem parts like heads and IM can be swapped around for better performance so I'm just trying to learn what can be swapped around with these ej motors...
then why get an intake or headers?

listen to me..... you aren't going to get any worthwhile edge out of a 99 legacy outback with an intake.

and you can ask every single one of the people on this forum and they'll tell yuo the exact same thing.

SAVE YOUR MONEY. it's not a honda motor. It's a subaru motor. very different monsters. it's just not worth it. and trust me, i know exactly how you feel. when i first started out i had it all: intake, headers, exhaust, reflash. still was slow as mud. and i was out $1000.

not worth it. where the awd cars shine is in the handling. so if you wanna start there get some new bushings and some new sway bars.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,417 Posts
No offense takin... Lol is what I am thinkin is when I go retire this car I might build the ej... Is it the same block as a wrx or sti??? I would like to learn everything I can about the ej motors....
no it's not the same block.

before you go starting more threads, i'd advise that you search thoroughly all the threads already started regarding this topic.

to keep it simple, you want power? turbo the car.

you want to enjoy the car a little more as is? modify the suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Point takin.... I will just leave the intake alone... I already took off all that unnecessary tubing that restricts air flow and deffently feels a little more responsive but nothing crazy lol... I'm getting a high flow catback system that I found for 275.00 which I need to replace so I'm just goin with that... Everything is knowledge from there so give me what you know lol.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.