Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought my first subie. And wanted to know if performance chips will really do anything for my 05' Impreza 2.5rs. or what I can do on a low budget to get the most out of my non-turbo 2.5L it's completely stock.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do to get any tangible power improvements out of a non-turbo subaru, UNLESS you have extremely deep pockets, you still get nowhere. a "chip" does nothing but trick the car in to thinking the air is colder, which does not net you more power, only more fuel consumption, and a bolt on exhaust only adds noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do to get any tangible power improvements out of a non-turbo subaru, UNLESS you have extremely deep pockets, you still get nowhere. a "chip" does nothing but trick the car in to thinking the air is colder, which does not net you more power, only more fuel consumption, and a bolt on exhaust only adds noise.
No gains at all? I'm just getting started on my build, and "power" is my last upgrade. But you can't even get, let's say, 20 HP out of exhaust, headers, intake, cams, and something like the delicious tuning? Not rhetorical. Just curious. Thanks! Appreciate you, in general, looking out for the well-being of this forum.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
578 Posts
A FULL exhaust (not just an axle back/muffler) with intake, cams and a tune should indeed get you 20 or so HP. But in my own opinion it's not gonna be worth the money.

If you want to mod your car for the sake of modding it, I completely understand and wouldn't want to deter you. It's fun and adds individuality. However, if you want to actually get something for your money, turbo that bitch! Subarus are Legos and parts are typically cheap and plentiful. Do some reading around here and throw a stock wrx turbo in, you'll be amazed at what 8psi can do. (Waaaay more than N/A breathing mods.)

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
No gains at all?
I didn't say that, I said no tangible gains. SoCoNoHa put it in more words. The amount of money you will have to spend to squeeze 20hp out of the car isn't worth it.

Parts availability for these cars is falling incredibly short. UEL header does not add power(maybe 5hp), it adds subaru rumble. An EL header can add up to 15hp just by itself, if you can find one, but in turn makes your car sound like a normal four cylinder. I'm pretty sure Delta is doing doing regrinds. But both of those, even more so the cam, are pointless if you can't find one of the crawford performance ECMs that can take advantage of those performance parts.

The factory ECU gives fuckall about any thing performance you put on the car, it is designed to run certain parameters and will continue to do so

1 - 6 of 6 Posts