Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the trim is starting to peel around my windows to wear the chrome underneath is showing. What have to guys done to fix this?

I was thinking aircraft stripper to remove the rest and then vinyl wrapping.

Ideas to remove the old stuff?

Attachments

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
Go to Lowes or Home Depot. There's a spray paint stripper. Its in a gold Can. Spray on, wait 15, hose off. Sand it with a red 3M scuff pad, paint satin black. Done! <$10 in materials.

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
Definitely use a stripper though. If you sand, you'll be feathering the edge for days. Get it all off and start from square one. Dust the paint on, sand 1500 grit in between coats. It'll look perfect.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
50 Posts
I had the same thing but just above my rear window. ^^All of these ideas are great^^. I used a thin razor blade to scrape it off. Worked perfect and didn't scratch the chrome underneath

·
Registered
98 Black RS GM6
843 Posts
Paint it with taillight/headlight tint. I did that with
the cheesy chrome on my Legacy and it turned out
good.

·
Loves Gravel
2001 STM 2.5RS Sedan
389 Posts
Google search "octogon spares, felton PA".

Just be warned, he's very...to the point. Have ALL your info ready, don't say "umm", or cause any delays. He has everything, good pricing, etc.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
360 Posts
For DSM guys they also have the trim peeling problems. You can no longer get replacements for the 1g DSM trim pieces that go between the doors and front windows. You can mask it off, sand it down and paint it with some semi-flat spraypaint. But a lot of times they just use electrical tape over it. I was skeptical at first, but finally tried it (took 5 minutes) and it's really not noticable. People claim it last 2-3 years. I wish I had a closer pic for you, but the car has been sold.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS SRP sedan
593 Posts
I need to do my c-pillar trim on my sedan.
Any suggestions on how to get them off?

Also, both top glass trim pieces are deteriorating where the thin rubber lips touch the roof. Any ideas how to get these off? They kinda look like the roof rails that run front to back have to come out first...

I was thinking of goin to a vinyl shop and having these pieces wrapped in normal black 3m. It's a semi-gloss finish an everything. Just re-wrap it every 5 yrs before the vinyl degrades too much.

·
Registered
LSTI in progress.
782 Posts
Bumping an old thread. Question on what would be better.

Mask the shit out of the car then use the stripper in the original posts to get the rubber that is peeling and the paint off.

Or mask it off and use sand paper to remove the paint. Not sure if sandpaper would be good for removing the rubber over the chrome. Maybe use a heat gun to heat it up first?

I really dont want to remove the trim if I don have to.

Second question. What do I need to get to replace the little rubber seal at the top of the trim which fits in the groove. I have no idea what it is called.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump from the dead.

I bought that stripper stuff and took the trim off and sprayed them and let it sit for a coupe of hours.

Its like a rubber overlay and the stripped did absolute jack to it... so does anyone know of an actual way to get this stuff off. maybe an adhesive remover...

·
Registered
1999 impreza wagon
365 Posts
I plasti dipper mine and its gone through multiple washes and is still holding up strong. the dip actually matches the black really good. just make sure you get some good coats.

I wouldn't bother masking the area off, just rub off the over spray with a micro fiber towel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.