Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a PDM Racing cold air intake for a while now, and at $50 each, I think it's the best CAI deal going. Plus, I think that its design (supposedly identical to the original GanzFlow) sits up higher in the car, taking air from the upper fender, rather than the Cobb unit, which I think goes lower. Also, the PDM retains the OEM airbox. These two things, I think (??) will help with preventing the water-suck issue.

Which worries me. A lot. I drive a TON of miles on my car, sometimes. It's the only car I have.

If I go and get one of these things (I have no other engine/exhaust upgrades--the car's stock, excepting an FHI V5 suspension and a couple other goodies underneath), I know that some folks get CEL issues. I really need to know *ALL* I have to look out for, and do, after purchasing a CAI.

Some say that you really should have an AFC installed, if you want to mess with the airflow. Which... sounds good to me (the type of person who likes reliable upgrades), but at the same time, those are like $300, totally defeating the purpose of a cheap CAI upgrade.

Sooo... Please, offer as much advice as you can, fellas. No too-technical terminology, if I can request that. I've been around for a couple years, but I'm not quite there yet. Heh... :cool:

Oh, here's the PDM, in case ya haven't seen it.

That's off PDM's website. The pic drives me berserk, though... That strut tower brace is mounted backwards. :D
(I happen to own the same Whiteline brace, but regardless, it's backwards.)

-S2-
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
PDM cai

installed one on my 01 sedan.
also K&N filter at the same time.
hard to tell with butt dyno, but maybe a slight improvement
in the upper rev range. also sounds great ,not loud at all
when in the area of 4-5k rev range.
no CEL issue, maybe because i did the ECU reset.
anyways good enough for me.
planning on underdrive pulleys and an exhaust.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
As far as I know (and that's not that far:happynow: ), any MAP based Impreza will have no CEL issue. I think all the models with the EJ25 MY99 and below uses a MAF which is really sensitive.

What's the diameter size for the PDM? I heard it was 2.5 inches, but it looks like 3" like the Ganzflow. Enjoy your newly found power you two.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to do the ECU reset.:p

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I don't own one yet. :) I'm in the middle of unemployment, trying to pay off a car and a credit card, a wedding coming up in six weeks, and my fiancée taking on a monstrous school loan after graduation in October.

So.... $50 or not.... :D

I'll still probably get it, but see I do so much long-distance driving, I really fear for engine mods. Were this just a weekend project car, I wouldn't care, but not knowing much about the intricasies of CAIs, and all the black and white opinions, I want as much info as I can get, before doing it.

-S2-

·
Registered
00 RS, 99 fozzy & 04 rex
1,086 Posts
hey what is pdm racing web page...
thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

Any other PDM or general CAI comments?

-S2-

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMHO in a 2000+ RS you are more likely to spontaneously combust than to encounter any real mechanical problems with a pdm CAI. :sunny:

·
Registered
2001 ImprezaRS2.5 Coupe White
1,513 Posts
I have had my PDM Intake for a couple of months now with no CELs. Combined with my Brullen Exhaust acceleration is greatly improved.

Just my $.02....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts