Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, the backlog of work, school, and sleep deprivation from the weeks of working on the car and then driving back from banff and running that rally (over 48 hours of either driving or sleeping in the passenger seat of a car) kind of messed me up.

I got the car out of the shop on the last day of the month, and drove it home, stupid idea in retrospect, but she drove, so who am I to complain?

On the list now is to fix the last of my wiring issues, which are the issues that existed before the start of the '02 wrx swap, the main one being a random power drain, as well as when I step on the brakes the rear wiper turns on..... Something tells me that I have a short towards the rear of the car.

So the car has sat in the driveway until a very special order of wiring gremlin hunting equipment arrived:

I was spoiled with the power probe 3 at the shop, so I bought one for myself, as well as a set of clips, extended probes, and most importantly, a set of back probe leads (the ones that look like needles). I already owned the fluke due to my history in electrical engineering and electrical projects.

It's currently -11*C (12*F for you right handed people), so pretty nippy to work on the car. I will probably leave it for a while until I can find shop space or for the weather to lighten up a bit.

Also, you guys can find the video of the car running on my instagram (@todviper), not sure of the best way to post that here, or what the preferred way to host a video is for this forum. possibly youtube and embed that link? Do note that the car is running rough because the idiot I am, had scaled the fuel injectors, but not the MAF....

Updates as they happen.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

IAT sensors have arrived (for my two running subi's). Booked in to have the alu bungs welded to the intercoolers this weekend, issue is the alu intercooler I got for the GF has a completely different style of BOV mounting, so may end up simply deleting it all together. TD04's are cheap, right?

Ordered the last bits for the roof vent install, one of the brackets was damaged by the guy in japan who sawzalled the roof skin. Eta 3-4 weeks from the land of the rising sun.

Also got a spare set of 6 spoke RS wheels, will be looking for rallycross tires this summer after I do a few events. Winters will have to do for now

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
Ive never killed a td04 from no bov. Overspinning the **** out of them though? yep that will kill it.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Got the IAT sensor welded up into the new intercooler. Also got some Version 5 sti seats, and sold the sparco's. Will post photos when they're cleaned up. Oh, also picked up a 3/16" primitive motorsports skidplate, which was my last "must have" part.

Roof vent bracket still on the slow boat, but here are some pics of the intercooler in the meantime:

Also did something really dumb, but should be fun either way. If I'm being an idiot, might as well go all the way, yes? :p

There we go, BOV problem solved! Should make for interesting turbo noises, especially with antilag!

Ive never killed a td04 from no bov. Overspinning the **** out of them though? yep that will kill it.
Good to hear, I will put this to the test it seems!

I've begun talking things over with my tuner and have booked some shop time to swap the gas tank, looks like the car will be "rally ready" mid may.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
New turbo has arrived!

Working closely with my friend, ( owner at Rodchester's House of Boost ( shoprhb.com) ) we should have a turbo together in a week or so that can deal with the antilag and no BOV without a hickup. Bigger frame, thicker turbine veins on the exhaust side, the works! All new and oh so shiny. Can't wait to try and blow it up 😂 .

Because the impreza wasn't ready for the last rallycross, I ended up running the forester, and then autocross it the next day as well! Placed middle of the pack in both events, lending to the versatility of the forester, even lowered!

I'm very green to rallycrossing, and after seeing a colleague debead a tire, I backed off a good bit and decided to enjoy myself and make sure the forester could drive me home instead of pushing for time.

The next rallycross is on July the 28th, and I'm gunning to have the car ready for then. Few final touchups (fuel tank, rear diff, turbo, tune, gauge cluster) and some odds and ends required, otherwise should be a blast!

Also scored some 15" rims for gravel tires which I will be picking up later this month, and some nice version 5? sti seats to keep me in position. Plan is to fab up a harness bar and get some 4 point harnesses to help keep me in the seat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whelp, forester blew up! Both driver side cylinders have 90% leakdown. Doing a 2.2L build with a 400whp target.

So, I've had to get the impreza running to have something to drive to work. Update time!

Got the CXracing TD05-16G setup for antilag, aka 9 blade inconel exhaust wheel (stock was inconel as well, but less blades handle antilag better), and an upgraded dual oil feed thrust (instead of one oiling point, has two). Those combined should let me ignition cut launch control and antilag as long as I care to.

(note for those getting the cxracing turbo. it seems to actually be a holset center section machined to fit the td05 housings, so I had to get a new center section to match my mods and a spare stock 16g compressor wheel as well)

I got the car running on the carberry rom, and antilag / ignition cut launch control work damned good!

Some photos attatched of thr install, and TD04L vs TD05-16g comparison shots.

The alu intercooler didn't end up panning out, as it doesn't clear the firewall with the ej22t manifold. Maybe I'll look into doing a frontmount down the road, but for now the foz intercooler will do!

Dyno booked for friday, will post results when they happen, and videos as well!

If the car survives the dyno then I'll be at the next KWRC rallycross!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So, spring shakedown at a RaceLab event was a great success!

Car was great! Steering U joint needs some love and I need new brake pads all around (currently running no name in the front, hawk 5.0 on the back).

Antilag and everything worked a treat as well, many flames and pops, as well as some nice turbo noises because no bov

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
That Race lab location in the quarry looked awesome, great spot for leo to teach!

Great project you have going.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
So, some small updates and whatnot.

The blue GF is now unregistered and I've decided that the shell is basically dead at this point. Had to hack open the frame rails for some snapped captive nuts, dust pours in through the rear quarters, strut towers and rockers are gone, it's a loosing battle at this point.

So, this summer the plan is to get the clean silver shell on the road and setup for rallycross duty, which means moving over most of if not all of the parts from the blue car.

That being said, I've never finished sealing up the old ej22t (so many boost leaks it hurts to think about), and raising the funds for a protune and other issues has really put a damper on getting it running right.(forester build has been my main focus recently)

Solution? I signed up for the High performance academy tuning courses, and figure I'll start with a nice simple N/A 2.5L, rebuild the ej22t next summer and potentially swap that in eventually (if not then would be a spare block for my forester)

And of all the 2.5's to start with, I was able to grab @scoobywagon02 's setup, so delta 1500 cams, gorilla intake, etc.

With the engine package he was kind enough to include the delicious tuning ecu as well, so the 160whp/160wtq is there for sure, but I think there is a bit more to be gained with some more tuning, so plan is either an '02 wrx ecu or a microsquirt, but leaning towards '02 wrx due to actually having knock detection and obd scan compliance (etest is no more in ontario, but roadside ministry of transport scans are happening more frequently)

Likely going to reuse the nice '07 2.5i transmission and 6 puck clutch etc from the blue car, but if I can snag a 4.44 fxt trans for a decent price that would be ideal.

also excited to finally install that roof vent that's been sitting on my shelf for so long

Will update as it happens but waiting on the new garage to have concrete poured and lift installed etc, once that happens then I'll have some steady progress.

foz teaser, built 22t, 3071r rotated, jdm 209 heads, 6 speed etc etc, shooting for 360+awp on pump gas

61 - 70 of 70 Posts