Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
97 OBS
113 Posts
thats one way to do get off the vent lol. cool you don't have to worry about the damn map light bracket either...sucks on the wiring! hopefully got it caught before it got to the wires

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
thats one way to do get off the vent lol. cool you don't have to worry about the damn map light bracket either...sucks on the wiring! hopefully got it caught before it got to the wires
Seller's photos, I need him to ship me it lol.

So, updates, the harness was indeed alright, on wire melted, but that has been fixed.

Yes, I know crimps are bad, but this is a quick and dirty setup before I do the chassis swap.

Got about a 1/3 of the wiring done, and got myself setup with a set of GM ignition coils which I will be wiring in tomorrow, so progress is good.

Also sourced some N/A 2.2L phase 1 fuel rails to run my phase 2 '07 sti injectors, which is nice.

She's slowly coming together, will post more as it happens.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
so whats the plan there? cant really run a phase one motor on a wrx ecu. crank, cam, iavc, map, maf, coil packs, all different
Ha! that's why I can't find anyone who has done it lol.

Swapping the crank sprocket to work, the iacv will either just work or be deleted, map is fine, maf is fine, ls1 truck coils, ezpz. Carberry rom doesn't really care all that much, can adjust dwell time to make the coils run, and all the other sensors are close enough. Map sensor will either be the factory one with the pressure source deleted or a GM 3 bar. also GM IAT for maf sensor / Speed density blending.

Also running '07 sti 565cc injectors is phase 2.5 N/A fuel rails.

I swear it will work, maybe.

So, updates, the ecu now connects to my computer so we can probe sensors and get everything setup and configured right!

photos:

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Minor updates over the weekend, got the ecu talking 100%, and all that's left now is:

Ignition wiring
Front + rear o2 sensors
'02wrx maf install (already have a spare housing)
GM IAT sensor install (wiring done)
GM 3Bar MAP sensor (wiring done)
'02 wrx timing sprocket install (old ones already removed)

Basemap flashing and first startup

IACV testing (when everything else is running)
Drive it to Neetronics for a Protune, and either she goes fast or gets scrapped ;)

Also, still ran the Frostbite rally with the parent's honda odyssey, and timed into 1st place, but a technicality (as it seems all racing series have), set us into 3rd place. (They released us from the lunch break beginning of section AFTER the first checkpoint closed. They couldn't get a hold of that marshal for whatever reason, so they were not aware that the rally was running late). Learned a bunch, had a hell of a lot of fun, and timed better than ever, so the next events should have us in the running for podium in the championship. Currently in 4th Overall.

For the Polar Bear rally I'll be taking the forester out of storage and prepping it just incase the GF isn't ready before then. 3 Weeks to go, hopefully everything comes together.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
worst case i guess you just adapt a 99-01 2.2 throttle body on for the iavc and plug the stock manifold iacv

i dunno how the wrx ecu is going to like the cam signal
You swap to the 05+ denso ej253 cam sprocket, it has the same trigger pattern as the denso ecus found in the wrx.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
worst case i guess you just adapt a 99-01 2.2 throttle body on for the iavc and plug the stock manifold iacv

i dunno how the wrx ecu is going to like the cam signal
I have a '99 2.2 throttle body, but the IACV dumps into the manifold through a slot / hole above the main throttle plate hole, so I doubt that that would work unfortunately. The factory ej22t IACV is 3 wire and seems to run on pwm like the '02 wrx one, so I'll test and see if it'll work. If not then it'll be disabled and throttle kicked with the set screw. I could bolt the '99 intake manifold onto the longblock as it sits, but I'm not sure that I could fit any injectors I have (that flow enough) into that setup, and I'm trying to keep this as budget as possible, so likely not gonna happen.

If worse comes to worse I'll just do the hybrid setup with ej205 heads etc, as you have done IIRC. If I do that though I'd be inclined to swap chassis as well, as the clean '99 2.2L chassis requires significantly less hackery to get working like factory with the '02 wrx ecu than this '97 1.8L b/s.

I'm swapping on a newer cam sprocket and sensor so everything reads nicely. I've read that this can be hit or miss as far as positioning goes, but we shall see I guess (1/2 tooth off or something like that). As far as the wiring shows, the phase 1 stuff is hall effect, the new things are VR sensors. Going to confirm that and make sure everything is triggering right in the next few days hopefully.

You swap to the 05+ denso ej253 cam sprocket, it has the same trigger pattern as the denso ecus found in the wrx.
Bingo! Hopefully that works out for me XP

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
More progress.
'02 wrx MAP and IACV work perfectly on the '99 2.2L throttle body.
Minor mod to get it to circulate past the throttle plate

Also need to block off the hairline of a gap on the top of the manifold, where the iacv would vent, so I'll make a small TB spacer with that covered, and all will be well!

So far so good.

'07 sti injectors also fit perfectly into '97 1.8L sidefeed rails, which bolt up to the ej22t manifold.

By perfectly I mean with a bit of modding, in the way of some die grinding and slicing the rubber bit in half to space properly.

Cut up the rails that mount the ignition coils and spliced the leads so they will work for my application.

Final stretch now, gonna start bugging my tuner for a basemap with my current setup, then off to the dyno, scheduled Feb 10-17 (dropping the car off as I go to banff for a week, come back and the car will be tuned etc).

Will post more progress as it happens!

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So, some more updates,

Got a list of what's left to do before getting her back on the road.

Fixed the gap to make sure that everything seals properly on the new TB.

Sourced a MAF flange and some 3" pipe, so now short of a bit of wiring and mounting some things up, the car is basically good to go.

Ecu is reading all the sensors all happylike, and have a '02 wrx cluster that I'll be hacking in so I have some sort of indication as to my speed / rpm etc.

Automoter boost gauge purchased as well, as having some sort of accuracy always helps.

Final stretch now, will update as it happens.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fabbed up a simple MAF sensor tube, gonna need this as I plan to run a hybrid MAF / Speed Density setup for all around smoothness.

Intake back in, with new MAF, engine bay wiring done, just need to mount the coils and finish making the custom plug wires.

Thought I'd step my game up and got a proper boost gauge, because knowledge of what the hell is goin on in the engine bay is power!

Knocked off more than half of the laundry list today, with some help from friends hopefully will be ready to try for a first start tomorrow.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
More updates! electrical in the engine bay is done now, which is nice, just buttoning up and some finishing touches and she'll be ready to test fire!

Diy custom Gasket. Technically Felpro, even if just the box XP

Permatex aneorobic or whatever gasket maker + paper gasket = winner.

Coming together! Ignition system done!

The list of stuff is getting nice and short now!

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Why not just get the proper TB gasket?
Because that would be the logical and correct way to do it, and that doesn't seem to by the way things are going with this car. :p
To be honest it was a "I need this car out of here TODAY" type deal.

I'm on a time limit before I'm kicked out of the shop, that time limit being two days ago, so I'm working on borrowed time at the moment. Will be up LATE tonight either driving or towing the car out of the shop...

Also, the timing belt seems a tooth off, so I'll need to double check that and try and scamble everything together.

Today is the make or break day. Should be fun :rolleyes4

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Great start to a project car! VERY respectable mods. I like it!
I also have a s201/RA limited trans. been good so far, but I seriously thrash mine, hydraulic hand braking, clutch kicking, gear slamming... I treat it like a 6 speed. if it brakes, I'm putting straight cut gears in it. LOVE this trans.

Also, I'm in Metro Detroit, if you're ever state side and need a hand, let me know,
Scott
Hey Scott, missed your comment!

My plan is to make a few of the detroit area SCCA events this year, so I may just take you up on that!

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
Hey Scott, missed your comment!

My plan is to make a few of the detroit area SCCA events this year, so I may just take you up on that!

Thanks so much!
There are a couple guys from Windsor that race with us. We love our Canadian buds.
I sent you FR on facebook.

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
There are a couple guys from Windsor that race with us. We love our Canadian buds.
I sent you FR on facebook.
Got it, thanks a bunch, hope to meet up on the dirt later this year.

So, make or break night = pull my forester out of the snow night which led to me getting very, very ill. Still feel like a total disaster.
Driving to banff tomorrow (from Toronto), so I simply withdrew some cash from the good old credit card and payed the shop that the impreza is at to hold onto it for another two weeks, I'll take care of it when I get back.

Will update as it happens!

·
Registered
98 OBS boosted 2.2
8 Posts
Awesome thread man! Im in the process of finding engine management for my 98 2.2, probably going with megasquirt or haltech but wrx ecu seems like a good option aswell. Goodluck man can't wait to hear how it turns out!

·
Registered
'97 GF Brighton
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So, long story short, she runs!!!!

custom switch panel:

ghetto new mounts for the gauges (will figure out something more permanent)

tidying up wires and final button up.

Still need to wire speedo sensor and possibly (hopefully not) need to run shielded cables for the cam and crank signals, but we shall see.

Video incoming, need to be out of the shop today, so will be a late night

41 - 60 of 70 Posts